Kits in padded envelopes/first class mail?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
cstratton

Kits in padded envelopes/first class mail?

Post by cstratton »

In the Stella Amp thread, jim123e wrote:
For shipping, if your package is under 13 ounces, you can use stamps and drop it in the mailbox. It doesn't matter if it is 1st class or priority. You might be able to save some $ by shipping 1st class. you can get 50 bubble mailers for around 20 cents/ea on ebay.
I've been curious about this - I'm preparing to release a kit that will tentatively be in the under $30 category, and $5.20 for the smallest flat rate priority mail box seems like a large percentage of the kit value.

Have folks had experience shipping small kits in padded mailers by first class mail?

The only components I'd be particularly worried about crush damage to are an 8-pin DIP IC and perhaps its socket - perhaps if I found some old plastic IC tubes to cut up. There's also a very flat 36mm speaker, but some of these come in their own tiny bubble envelopes, or I could tape them into a fold of cardstock.

electrotek

Re: Kits in padded envelopes/first class mail?

Post by electrotek »

Hi,

I ship my product first class and it only costs 1.75 for 2 ounces. It is a cheap way to go, and i haven't had any problems with it. It gets to it's destination within 2-5 days in the U.S. My product is irregular and i put it in a #000 bubble mailer. No issues to date that i can think of. I would suggest getting the print on/ peel off 2 labels per sheet labels and stick em on! it has saved me time and aggravation of taping the labels on by hand.

Electrotek

nootropicdesign

Post by nootropicdesign »

I also ship kits domestically via first class mail in padded envelopes. For ICs and sockets, put them in high-density conductive foam to protect the pins. I use this:
http://www.all-spec.com/products/714-2935.html

I have only had one mishap, where USPS destroyed the package. But I've shipped hundreds of kits this way successfully.

For kits that have bigger parts like LED displays and are "less flat", I don't use padded envelopes, but use small boxes for first class mail. These boxes are only 30 cents a piece and are great for kits. You can fit 2 or 3 kits in a box.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4 ... ated-Boxes

I highly recommend ULINE for shipping supplies.

technobly

Post by technobly »

nootropic wrote:I also ship kits domestically via first class mail in padded envelopes. For ICs and sockets, put them in high-density conductive foam to protect the pins. I use this:
http://www.all-spec.com/products/714-2935.html

I have only had one mishap, where USPS destroyed the package. But I've shipped hundreds of kits this way successfully.

For kits that have bigger parts like LED displays and are "less flat", I don't use padded envelopes, but use small boxes for first class mail. These boxes are only 30 cents a piece and are great for kits. You can fit 2 or 3 kits in a box.
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4 ... ated-Boxes

I highly recommend ULINE for shipping supplies.
Hey thanks for the tips. Those are some good prices, even for low quantities. When you divide out the conductive foam, it's like 2.5 cents per sq. inch. Not bad!

george_graves

Post by george_graves »

I buy all my shipping supplies on ebay. I find that u-line wants too much for shipping.

The key is to find someone semi-locally. That can use the fed-ex/post office "saver shipper" to get them to you in 2-5 days. Not that u-line is bad - they are great.

With that said, I highly recommend getting a u-line catalog, and browsing through it. Just go page, by page. You'll see boxes, and bags, you didn't know existed. For example, if you're selling something that is long and skinny.....I bet you didn't know someone makes boxes just for that. It's a good read if you're into shipping stuff. You'll be amazed by how finding the right solution can make shipping a breeze - and even enjoyable. Plus, your customers will love you for it - so it's win/win.

felis

Post by felis »

cstratton wrote: I've been curious about this - I'm preparing to release a kit that will tentatively be in the under $30 category, and $5.20 for the smallest flat rate priority mail box seems like a large percentage of the kit value.
Not necessarily - I offer both first class and priority and US customers overwhelmingly (>90%) prefer priority even on small orders. I see orders like $0.5 USB connector with $6.00 shipping quite often.

kjk

Post by kjk »

cstratton wrote:In the Stella Amp thread, jim123e wrote:
[quote
The only components I'd be particularly worried about crush damage to are an 8-pin DIP IC and perhaps its socket - perhaps if I found some old plastic IC tubes to cut up. There's also a very flat 36mm speaker, but some of these come in their own tiny bubble envelopes, or I could tape them into a fold of cardstock.
Jameco sells (used) DIP rails and new plugs:
*IC DIP RAIL,.300 WIDTH,PLAST.
FOR 8,14,16,18,20,22-PIN IC’S https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ctId=29516
@ RAIL/TUBE STOPS,RUBBER,GRAY
FOR IC RAILS 29516,AND 29524 https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ctId=29583

I got some for repacking parts for a class I was teaching. I ended up cutting them to length with a scroll saw, which was a little messy. Anyone have a better method?

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”