Options for shipping PCBs

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
johngineer

Options for shipping PCBs

Post by johngineer »

I'd like to know if anyone has a recommendation for shipping individual PCBs. This would just be unpopulated boards, no components or other kit stuff, so there's no need for anti-static liners or the like.

The boards weigh about 0.25oz, so I was thinking of just using 1st class mail with a few pieces of light cardboard lining the envelope. Does anyone have a better suggestion? While most of the destinations would be in the US, some may be international, for which this 1st class mail idea might not work. If someone could suggest an alternative for that, I would appreciate it too.

Thanks!

tcooper

Re: Options for shipping PCBs

Post by tcooper »

I would still dump it in a small padded envelope. They are so cheap to begin with.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7 ... 9&ref=1505

For some extra protection, maybe throw them in a plain reclosable bag inside the padded envelope.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... sable-Bags

If you provided one padded envelope and one reclosable bag, it would still be less than $0.50 per board shipped. And, the 6x10 mailers are nice because the perfectly fit a half sheet shipping label.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5 ... ser-Labels

-Tyler

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

Thanks Tyler!

I've already got the packaging problem set, with those very envelopes in fact :) -- now that I re-read my earlier post, I realize I should have been more clear. For the bags I might reuse the hundreds (literally) of little plastic bags from Mouser that I've been stashing away (at least to start with).

What's really got me stumped is the machinations involved in shipping this stuff internationally. That is, what forms I might need to fill out and the cost delta going from domestic to international.

Jack52

Post by Jack52 »

Yup, padded #000 envelope from U-Line will do the job, even for shipping to other countries. (You might need a bigger size than #000 but all of my pcbs fit in that one)

You can buy smaller packs of the #000 envelope from Walmart or Office Depot if you do not need the box of 500 from U-line, but the price per envelope will be significantly higher. It's a good alternative when you first start.

regards, Jack

Jack52

Post by Jack52 »

You will need a Customs Form to go on each package when you ship to other countries. They are available free at the post office.

It is multi-part and the postal clerk can help you fill it out the first time or two that you ship overseas.

regards, Jack

johngineer

Post by johngineer »

Thanks, Jack!

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”