New Arduino LED System Advice
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

New Arduino LED System Advice

by neltnerb on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:14 am

Dear Adafruit,

I am building a new arduino system, and am trying to decide what features to include.

The core is an Arduino Leonardo for sure, since I want the free UART for other communication. It has attached 15W of LED light as RGB+white.

From there, I am considering adding on DMX control, a Xbee/RN-XV pinout for wireless communications and wireless programming, and a microphone with a frequency analyzer (MSGEQ7) so that people can do cool standalone interactive art.

Do you think this is worth trying to make? It obviously costs a lot to make prototypes, and I am trying to make this so that I can sell them to others for under $75 each... that might be impossible though.

Which features are most important to you all in a LED light based around the arduino? Cost? Lumen output? I am thinking currently to just use a triple pole dual throw switch so that you can switch between wifi, DMX, and user-added UART, along with connecting the pins to GPIOs so that you can do things like send data to one light over wifi and have it act as a DMX master to control others. Or just the ability to use the single light as a USB -> DMX controller (which seem to be well over $100 by themselves for some reason).

Any encouragement or advice would be very welcome =) Right now I'm excited because it seems that I can do 16-bit PWM on each of the RGB channels and 10-bit on the white, which should let me make extremely, extremely nice colors. I also want to control it all over OSC like with the Saiko5 fixture, but for a lot less cost.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.