Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

by flyerx on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello,

I put together an Arduino UNO with the data logging shield to make a serial logging device that I intent to sell. The boards will be unmodified and, at most, will have a button and a serial port connection added and packed into an enclosure. Most of the work was done on the software for the device to communicate and collect the data properly.

I have searched for a couple of days on this site but I cannot find what the licensing is for the shields sold by Adafruit (in particular http://www.adafruit.com/products/243). Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products? If the shields cannot be incorporated into a commercial product, can their designs be used? I checked with the Arduino FAQ and they do allow to use the Arduino unmodified but I doubt that extends to any 3rd party shields.

If this licensing information is posted on this site, since I most likely missed it, please let me know.

Thanks for any info on this,

FlyerX
flyerx

Re: New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

by adafruit on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:09 pm

flyerx wrote:Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products?

yes!

if you choose to use the designs, they're creative commons, share-alike attribution. so you'd need to publish your files and credit us.

cheers,
adafruit support, phil

adafruit

Re: New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

by mikeselectricstuff on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:24 am

Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products?

Anything you buy can be incorporated into a commercial product, unless you have explicitly agreed to some restriction as a condition of purchase.
mikeselectricstuff