New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
flyerx

New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

Post by flyerx »

Hello,

I put together an Arduino UNO with the data logging shield to make a serial logging device that I intent to sell. The boards will be unmodified and, at most, will have a button and a serial port connection added and packed into an enclosure. Most of the work was done on the software for the device to communicate and collect the data properly.

I have searched for a couple of days on this site but I cannot find what the licensing is for the shields sold by Adafruit (in particular http://www.adafruit.com/products/243). Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products? If the shields cannot be incorporated into a commercial product, can their designs be used? I checked with the Arduino FAQ and they do allow to use the Arduino unmodified but I doubt that extends to any 3rd party shields.

If this licensing information is posted on this site, since I most likely missed it, please let me know.

Thanks for any info on this,

FlyerX

adafruit

Re: New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

Post by adafruit »

flyerx wrote:Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products?
yes!

if you choose to use the designs, they're creative commons, share-alike attribution. so you'd need to publish your files and credit us.

cheers,
adafruit support, phil

mikeselectricstuff

Re: New to Open-source hardware and confused about licensing

Post by mikeselectricstuff »

Can they be used, as purchased, in commercial products?
Anything you buy can be incorporated into a commercial product, unless you have explicitly agreed to some restriction as a condition of purchase.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”