Prototyping and Short Run Services
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Prototyping and Short Run Services

by johnnyc on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 am

I'm wondering if there's a good company out there that can turn prototypes around for less than $300 per part?

As my prototypes get smaller and more complex, I've felt the pain of doing a lot of soldering. I've been looking for a company that can do the prototyping for me.

The last six months I've been working on a project that has growing number of parts, a lot of LQFP pins, smaller and smaller SMD parts. There have been a lot of re-designs and each time, I feel more pain of multi-day builds and tests.

The pain of soldering these projects by hand pushed me to look for a company that could prototype the project.
I couldn't find a company that would cost something reasonable: most of the quotes were in the $500 to $1,000 per board range.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that was offering prototype assembly on the cheap. I can wait 8 days (I can wait longer), but the price of $750 per prototype is too expensive for me.

I was also wondering if anyone else had this problem and thoughts on how to solve it? I saw Sparkfun's Pit of Despair blog post a few months back and thought I might be sinking into that (http://www.sparkfun.com/news/909)
johnnyc

Re: Prototyping and Short Run Services

by Laen on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:11 pm

johnnyc wrote:I'm wondering if there's a good company out there that can turn prototypes around for less than $300 per part?

The last six months I've been working on a project that has growing number of parts, a lot of LQFP pins, smaller and smaller SMD parts. There have been a lot of re-designs and each time, I feel more pain of multi-day builds and tests.

Yeah, you're in a really difficult place. Inexpensive short-run manufacturing isn't a nut that's been cracked, as far as I know.

The only lead I can give you is this: http://www.nelson-specialties.com/ One of my OSHPark customers told me they got a quote for ~$50 a board for prototype assembly.
Laen

by JD3 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 am

Are you hand soldering, or using a reflow oven / electric skillet?
That little black caterpillar you just stepped on will set you back a few bucks....
JD3

by johnnyc on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 am

I am doing mostly hand soldering. I'm actually doing hand soldering of SMD components for the most part. Some through-hole though.
John Cole
http://www.dexterindustries.com
johnnyc

by JD3 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 am

I have been using an electric skillet for reflow soldering SMD components.
I am using a lower temp leaded solder and it's working great.

Maybe this technique will make it easier?

http://wb9ipa.qrpradio.com/smt/smt.htm
That little black caterpillar you just stepped on will set you back a few bucks....
JD3

by ColinFitzgerald on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Johnny,

I tried to send you a direct email (from you site), but may not have gotten through.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of setting up a SMT assembly service aimed precisely at the Maker/DIY crowd. In short, I've created equipment/process that allows be to almost eliminate setup fee's and run very small batches at a price competitive with anything else.

Now, I'm not quite ready to launch my biz publicly yet, but I can run jobs. If your interested please get in touch and I'll send you more details.

BTW, neat products ! Best of luck!!

Colin Fitzgerald
ColinFitzgerald

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.