Is there One True Label Size?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
vputz

Is there One True Label Size?

Post by vputz »

I know there's not really, but I just grabbed my Trusty Label Printer (yet another lp2844) from eBay, and it turns out these things are useless without labels.

Darn the luck.

Now, it'd be nice if I could use just one standard labely label (so's not to swap reels in the printer, for I am a Lazy Bastard (TM)) for the bulk of my labeling tasks, which as far as I can tell will be: sticking on bags that contain kits, and sticking on packages for shipping. Right now 4"x6" bags seem like a decent bag-for-kit size, so something smaller than that sounds reasonable, but I don't want to shoot myself in the labeling foot and have someone say 'You got 2"x3" labels!? YOU FOOL!", so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone had advice.

george_graves

Re: Is there One True Label Size?

Post by george_graves »

I have a lp2844 - wonderful printer. And yes, you do need labels. You can get them as fan-fold, or spools. Both work well, but you'll need more room for the fanfold (I put my printer on a shelf, and the fan-fold labels below.

You'll want 4x6" for shipping. I also use the printer for making product bag labels. I print three to a 4x6" sheet, and cut them. It sounds time consuming, but it's not really - I just do the product labels in bulk - 100 or so at a time - take 3-4 mins and you're good for a while. You can get labels in all sorts of sizes - but changing them back and forth would be more of a pain.

Eventually I'll pick up a second printer for product labels and as a backup. You'll love printing labels with this printer - it makes shipping a breeze. Well worth the cost.

BTW - there are some deals on ebay to be found for the labels.

Hope that helps.

vputz

Re: Is there One True Label Size?

Post by vputz »

Thanks. I actually did just get a roll of 76x100mm labels for my 4"x6" product bags, figuring they could do double duty as shipping labels, but at any rate I mistakenly went through the "label width calibration" on the LP2844 rather than the "basic" calibration, and I think the ensuing fountain of labels (wow, this thing can really pump them out) probably burned up half my introductory roll.

Live and learn! It's early enough days for me that I can't imagine shipping enough to run out any time soon, but I'll try grabbing the 4x6's next round.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”