How do Adafruit/Sparkfun/etc. have such low prices?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
westfw

Re: How do Adafruit/Sparkfun/etc. have such low prices?

Post by westfw »

"NRE" is usually "non-recurring engineering" costs. That means it includes design, layout, and so on, but NOT your capital equipment (like pick&place machines) or assembly time (even if you do it manually.) It might make a difference on your taxes; capital equipment gets treated one way, R&D expenses another. IIRC.

vputz

Re: How do Adafruit/Sparkfun/etc. have such low prices?

Post by vputz »

The focus on automation is a good one--and where I'm going to spend the next couple of years. Since I'm going to be moved back to the US in about 3 years (unless something really remarkable happens) my focus is going to remain pretty small-scale (if I make something worth making in bulk, I'll have to contract it out, which will probably eat up any profit but worth the experience).

However, I do see plenty of opportunity for innovation in small-scale automation, so there are possibilities. I'm still learning LOTS of lessons that others have learned (pogopin testing fixtures, problems with SMD assembly, etc) so there's lots to go before seriously considering a large outlay to have a go at it.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”