new store (mainly selling aluminum cases)

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rarara

Re: new store (mainly selling aluminum cases)

Post by rarara »

SubStyler wrote:the smallest is 240 x 200 x 40mm... smaller is not possible if you use standard x0xb0x components inside.
my own BANNED is 240 x 205 x 42mm. (there are pictures here on forum)

cheers
SubStyler

ps: I'm still working on veeeery small enclosures ;) but not with the standard components. but this will take a lot of time I think.
SubStyler - I didn't think you were offering cases for sale?

substyler

Post by substyler »

rarara wrote:
SubStyler wrote:the smallest is 240 x 200 x 40mm... smaller is not possible if you use standard x0xb0x components inside.
my own BANNED is 240 x 205 x 42mm. (there are pictures here on forum)

cheers
SubStyler

ps: I'm still working on veeeery small enclosures ;) but not with the standard components. but this will take a lot of time I think.
SubStyler - I didn't think you were offering cases for sale?
hi,

I don't know yet... there are several guys selling aluminum enclosures for a good price.
I'm in germany and "Made in Germany" is a bit expensive in general ;-)
my black aluminum enclosures were to expensive, so I sold them only as complete x0xb0x.

those mini-cases can be cheaper, because they will be made out of steel with powder coating. but first of all, i have to redesign the PCBs to get it smaller... and that will take much, much time.
I do this all in my spare time... it's not my primary job!

cheers
SubStyler

Fiercefish

Post by Fiercefish »

Christian, your panel designs are among the nicest I have seen, I am super happy with mine, and if you do ever come up with a nice small case that fits the standard kit I am sure you would sell them. Even if it is about the same size as the pactec in aluminium that would surely rock :)

Oh did you still want that BA662a? It totally slipped my mind......

PM me if you do and I will get it sorted ;)

reedlaw

Post by reedlaw »

I've looked into resizing my case and it looks like it may be possible, although the silkscreen lettering would have to be protected from getting scratched up in the cutter. Unfortunately, there is almost no room to cut from the top of the case because as it is the power caps and voltage regulator are nearly touching C43 and J5. So the only real place for cutting would be from the bottom, under the keyboard. Personally, I think that only cutting under the keyboard would make the case look unsymmetrical with the space left at the top. So it's my decision not to alter the cases.

Instead of modifying the cases, I have made my current cases 15% off for the next month. This is pretty close to the price for the Pactec case and standard x0x panels. Of course, if you buy one you are free to cut it however you want, so I hope the lower price will give you some extra incentive :)

fowlerd303

Post by fowlerd303 »

Sorry for the thread bump.

I've just purchased one of these to replace my standard case that the original owner drilled some extra holes into. I look forward to receiving it!

I'm thinking I might put a x0xsh0p.de faceplate on top to change the look. I'll test with my original faceplate when the case arrives to see how it looks/fits first.

Cheers.

substyler

Post by substyler »

fowlerd303 wrote:I'm thinking I might put a x0xsh0p.de faceplate on top to change the look. I'll test with my original faceplate when the case arrives to see how it looks/fits first
I don't think so... because my frontpanels won't fit. reedlaws box is 228mm x 260mm x 56mm. my enclosure is 205mm x 240mm x 42mm, the frontpanel cannot fit.

skip

Post by skip »

Case looks pretty nice, although I'd like it to be smaller. Still, I might get one of these as the price isn't bad. Has anyone bought one? Any impressions on it?

Edit: Any chance of photos showing the inside of the case or details on how much it can be cut from either end and If it's still possible to screw the front and back panels back after cutting? Also I'm wondering why the TUNE-knob is higher than the others and also the two knobs that are different type than the other don't seem to be flush with the case. Why's that? If the case can't be made smaller "easily" I would at least prefer if you added some printing on the front and back so it wouldn't look like there's just dead space with nothing there on it. Also some of the texts seem a bit too close to the knobs, especially if you're thinking of replacing the knobs with some other ones. Maybe you could change that also for the next revision, if there will be one.

fowlerd303

Post by fowlerd303 »

skip wrote:Case looks pretty nice, although I'd like it to be smaller. Still, I might get one of these as the price isn't bad. Has anyone bought one? Any impressions on it?

Edit: Any chance of photos showing the inside of the case or details on how much it can be cut from either end and If it's still possible to screw the front and back panels back after cutting? Also I'm wondering why the TUNE-knob is higher than the others and also the two knobs that are different type than the other don't seem to be flush with the case. Why's that? If the case can't be made smaller "easily" I would at least prefer if you added some printing on the front and back so it wouldn't look like there's just dead space with nothing there on it. Also some of the texts seem a bit too close to the knobs, especially if you're thinking of replacing the knobs with some other ones. Maybe you could change that also for the next revision, if there will be one.
Mine arrived and I just had a test fit. The knobs fit fine, I assume in the stock pics the knobs weren't pushed down fully. As reedlaw said above you could only cut off extra at the bottom but not much. This case is shallower than the standard one and the rear panel power caps would foul with the main panel. I've installed connectors for my jumper cables and the power caps foul against J5 so I'm going to have to remove that one and replace with a right angle connector. Also the soldering underneath the power supply board on mine touches the bottom panel, especially the power switch wire mod the previous owner installed. This should be an easy fix with some resoldering and clipping. I'll also put a sheet of paper or plastic under the power supply board just to be safe.

Here's some pics to show you...

reedlaw case compared to oem case

I've slid the back panel down a bit so you can see how far past J5 the power caps go. My J5 connector needs to be removed and replaced with a right angle so the caps can pass over it. Even then you couldn't cut any off the back as the power caps would then foul against the main board caps.

Main board on the top panel. You can see there's not much at the bottom you can cut off. There's about 2cm extra there

skip

Post by skip »

Nice. Thanks for the pics. Maybe some of the back PCB parts could be installed in a 90° angle for example to make the boards fit on top of each other better. I'll have to look into this better once I've got enough money. How are the side panels like? If you cut them, will you be able to connect the screws anymore? When you've finished installing everything, do post pics. I'd like to see pics of the finished case and final impressions then too. :)

fowlerd303

Post by fowlerd303 »

You'll need to retap the threads if you cut the ends off as they're not threaded the entire length.

I'll be sure to post pics when done. I'm even getting e new vinyl overlay printed. Hopefully it works out ok!

corrosive

Post by corrosive »

Can anyone make me a metal case for a fully modded x0xi0 please ??

altitude

Post by altitude »

You should be able to make the front panel only as tall as the mainboard and still use the stock parts without any problems, thats how my cases are made..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”