WTB: 16POS Mechanical Encoder/3.5mm MONO Jacks

Trading post for x0xen, x0x parts, axles, pelts and tobacco

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
acoustic warfare

WTB: 16POS Mechanical Encoder/3.5mm MONO Jacks

Post by acoustic warfare »

Hi, I am after 4 of the 16 position encoders, does any body have them spare? Digikey is out of stock at this point.

I am also after 4 of the 3.5mm MONO Audio Jacks as well.

PM if you have some.

Many Thanks,

Luke

eil

Post by eil »

If you find an alternate source for the encoders, let me know. These are pretty much the only thing holding me up.

loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

I too am looking for some of these encoders. I was wondering if anyone has used an alternative part here? Even if you had to do some kludging it would be preferable to waiting for months for the stock to be replenished. I assume there are other 5 pin hex 16 pos encoders, if anyone knows of a good one, let me know i am going to try to implement an alternative part.

Hazard

Post by Hazard »

I'm trying to develop an alternate way to select the track/pattern bank and Mode for the x0x.
I'm using one microcontroller, one 2x16 LCD and one encoder+switch (like the tempo one).
The idea is: The LCD displays the current bank and also the mode. You can rotate through modes/bank using the encoder.
I already designed the hardware and some software, I just need to test it in my x0xb0x.
The thing is, I don't know how it will fit, since I haven't made the enclosure. And because I don't know how much space I would have, I haven't designed the PCB layout...
If anyone is interested after the test, I'll post more details.

loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

Sounds cool, If you need a gunnea pig I would be willing to give it a try. So, there will be just one encoder for both mode and bank selection? and the micro sends the hex code to the x0x micro? That is a pretty cool solution, I may work on something similar.

eil

Post by eil »

Hazard has some kind of mind-reading device, because I was thinking of something similar. :) The LCD panel would add cost to the project of course ($30-40) but it would make the x0xb0x 3x shiner and possibly even easier to use.

As far as technical considerations, I'm pretty sure you could get a LCD+PCB that's slim enough to mount above the sequencer board without getting in the way. I was thinking of getting one with a RS-232 interface for simplicity, but I wasn't sure whether a second microcontroller would be needed or if it'll just be easier in the end to connect the display straight to the x0x microcontroller and hack the code.

Please keep us in the loop on this. I'm happy to help develop and test although it'll be a month or two before my first x0x is built.

loydmilligan

Post by loydmilligan »

Heads up, it looks like they have some of these encoders in stock at newark.

Hazard

Post by Hazard »

Well, I wrote a thread about my ideia here: http://www.ladyada.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7259
I tried to expose the maximum details for those who wish to do the same.

eil

Post by eil »

Nice, I just ordered a few encoders from Newark. Now nothing can stop me from building my x0x, muahaha!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0x shop”