I'm thinking of getting the YBox and I'm a complete beginner

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
InsanePyros

I'm thinking of getting the YBox and I'm a complete beginner

Post by InsanePyros »

Through experience with First Robotics and general curiosity I have become infatuated with microprocessors lately. Since the only one I have at home is a piece of BANNED for the vex system and the propeller chip and YBox2 kit looks amazingly awesome I've decided to buck up and take the dive into a project that is probably over my head. I have no experience with soldering, circuit boards, or electronics in general. I'm willing to sink the cash into a proper beginners electronics set like one of the recommended ones on ladyada's site and I am a fast learner. Luckily I have a fair amount of experience in programing so the gut-renching fear of assembling the thing should devolve down to only hair-pulling frustration at bugs once the thing is built.

Now that I'm done rambling what is your advice for a beginner to make it through the assembly process without destroying the board. are there any, hopefully cheap, projects I can do to learn to solder properly before I order my YBox2? Thanks in advance for all advice!

tl;dr advice for a complete beginner

edit: sorry about the double post, my browser was acting weird.

adafruit

Re: I'm thinking of getting the YBox and I'm a complete beginner

Post by adafruit »

id go for a '$20' kit first
like a tvbgone, mintyboost, minipov
etc
the ybox is pricey for a first attempt (although its not -harder-, its just -bigger)

InsanePyros

Post by InsanePyros »

I took your advice and bought the drawdio as well as the Ybox2. I assembled the drawdio the night I received the kits and the Ybox2 the day after and they both work great. Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”