irc for YBox2- Project

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
justamar

irc for YBox2- Project

Post by justamar »

Hello there, for the past couple of weeks I was thinking of a way to create a product that can show an IRC chat room. So when i was reading Limor's blog today I saw that there was a VGA output made for the YBox2! Well imediatly I thought of the irc channel that I wanted to make, this is my first programming project, and I know that its going to be a big one, does anyone have any advice or ideas out there?

adafruit

Re: irc for YBox2- Project

Post by adafruit »

its definately a good idea and shouldnt be -too- hard
first off, google in case someone's done it first! :) check the propeller forums too
you'll need to connect a ps/2 keyboard up. see the propeller demo board schematic
then you will have to connect the irc server and parse out the codes to make it look pretty
but thats pretty much it

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

justamar

Post by justamar »

I just cried a little bit :[ I guess I can just use PropIRC although I want to find a way to add the PS/2 controller into the YBox2! i will be looking his schematic and changing it to my needs, and I just ordered the PCB for the YBox2. yay me.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i just did it, its pretty easy. dont forget you'll also need a lot of parts and a propeller programmer of some sort.

justamar

Post by justamar »

a propeller programmer? i though they come preprogrammed :[ fadge.i guess i should have ordered the full kit and not just the board :wink: haha wait a second Can i not use the bootloader if i get the propeller from http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcont ... roductName

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

justamar wrote:a propeller programmer? i though they come preprogrammed :[ fadge.i guess i should have ordered the full kit and not just the board :wink: haha wait a second Can i not use the bootloader if i get the propeller from http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcont ... roductName
Actually you can if your code is clean enough.. If you build your own make sure you get a programmer, you'll need it..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

well first off its not the propeller chip thats programmed, its the eeprom. so you can use an i2c eeprom programmer
OR a propeller programmer (which really just tells the propeller to program the eeprom)

http://www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/parts.html
"64KB i2c EEPROM, preprogrammed with bootloader when purchased in a kit"

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

attached is the 'new' propirc.spin (renamed to .txt) with mods to make it ybox2 'compatible'
this version still requires VGA and ps/2 connectors
but the ethernet stuff works just fine
would be ++ if someone could help port this to NTSC
Attachments
propirc.txt
(22.98 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

ladyada wrote:attached is the 'new' propirc.spin (renamed to .txt) with mods to make it ybox2 'compatible'
You mean to the TV Out code, and if so what size do you want the 40x30?

k.

harrison

Post by harrison »

ladyada wrote:attached is the 'new' propirc.spin (renamed to .txt) with mods to make it ybox2 'compatible'
There was a typo in the contest version of propirc which broke the 25MHz freq generator. I didn't catch it until I tried to run the stack on the ybox2...

To fix it, open up driver_enc28j60.spin and change:

Code: Select all

enc_freq = 5_000_000
to

enc_freq = 25_000_000
After fixing that you should be able to run the code with minimal changes (you don't have to disable the webserver or the software rtc).

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

Harrison.. Glad to see you here too..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Abysmal wrote:
You mean to the TV Out code, and if so what size do you want the 40x30?

k.
ya TV out
any size is OK, whatever is easiest.

I'll give $25 adafruit gift certificate to the first person who succeeds! :)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

harrison wrote:
There was a typo in the contest version of propirc which broke the 25MHz freq generator. I didn't catch it until I tried to run the stack on the ybox2...

enc_freq = 5_000_000
to

enc_freq = 25_000_000
After fixing that you should be able to run the code with minimal changes (you don't have to disable the webserver or the software rtc).
oh ok. to be honest i didnt look in the enc driver and i assumed there were not enough cogs to generate a 25mhz clock (theres a crystal in the schematic posted)

will check it out soon!

abysmal

Post by abysmal »

ladyada wrote:
harrison wrote:

enc_freq = 5_000_000
to

enc_freq = 25_000_000
oh ok. to be honest i didnt look in the enc driver and i assumed there were not enough cogs to generate a 25mhz clock (theres a crystal in the schematic posted)

will check it out soon!
The crystal is for the propeller itself.. then nic chip needs a 25 mhz crystal that is simulated via pin 7 on the prop via code..

k.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”