Couple of Questions...

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thetribster

Couple of Questions...

Post by thetribster »

IR

I'm about to dive in and review how the IR stuff works, assuming it does (I think it does?). Can anyone give me any details, heads-up on using the IR capabilities of the yBox? I understand that the sony style remotes are compatible? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

WIRELESS

Any possibility of developing a video (like the VGA video) for replacing the ethernet connectivity with wireless? Again, any help here would be great - turning this into a wireless device would be very cool.

EXTERNAL LEDs

I've used the Blinkm-MaxM devices with the Arduino where the I2C network is used to control the lights - each module is addressable individually! From what I remember the connection was 2 wires (duh) and a common ground. This allowed the Blinks to derive their power external to the Arduino (I am using 24v clusters now). Any pointers here?

Thanks in advance.

I've been able to rewrite the infowidget to accommodate a much more flexible approach to delivering content - all controlled on the server. As of yesterday I am able to turn the LED on to any color and have it remain solid, blink fast or blink slow thru the duration of the display. I was also able to add the sound control as well.

Since the widget reads and display a character at a time I was able to send an escape code for each thing I want the device to do, then I send the details of what exactly to do. For example, when I send a chr(246) it tells my widget to get ready and change the LED color - the next bytes tell it exactly how to do that - basically I am using non-display characters as sentinel's to define my own little control language....

I'll say it again, Darco and Ladyada did a fantastic job making an open platform to hack away at!! I now have 100s of screens that can be sent to the device (RSS feeds, and various custom parses - stocks, weatherbug, upcomingevents, etc)...

BTW, Spin is getting better now that I am starting to actually understand it. The propeller forum has been great for help - fast and thoughtful responses.

mael

Re: Couple of Questions...

Post by mael »

about IR, go to propeler obex, and get the ir_kit.
it contains the demo spin files, at least this one : ir_reader_demo.spin

I changed to the TV_Text from darco's svn and of course _irrpin to 15

that should demo the ir stuff on your ybox2.

I also choosed the ir_reader_sony, and it works for all the remote I got around

Code: Select all

'select one rcvir and one term

'rcvir   : "ir_reader_nec"
       rcvir   : "ir_reader_sony"
        'rcvir   : "ir_reader_rc5"
       term    : "TV_text"
        'term    : "serial_terminal"   
Hope that help,

thetribster

Post by thetribster »

Thanks, I'll do that.

Don't quite understand the TV_text change, darco's svn ? Sorry.

Does the kit use pin 15 and yBox doesn't (haven't looked) - assume that's the reason for the change.

In any case, great info - thanks much!

mael

Post by mael »

It wasn't clear to me at all first, but I hardy managed to understand that the "lib" used to render text on tv output
by propeller spin examples program was called TV_terminal and ybox2 was instead TV_text.

Maybe something to add to ladyada's tutorial ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”