Using remote controll

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psl

Compatible remotes

Post by psl »

darco wrote: Q: I notice there is an IR port. What kind of remote control will I need?

A: The IR port will work with any remote control which is modulated between 38-42KHz. Most IR remotes are in this category. At the moment however, none of the widgets are really using the IR port. This will likely change in the future. An IR test feature is built into the bootloader, which will flash the LED when a button on any compatible remote is pressed.
I've also read the more detailed FAQ on www.deepdarc.com regarding the IR port topic.

I've tried a Sony TV remote I have as well as tried to configure a Universal Remote with the various Sony remote codes. While the ybox2 is on the bootloader screen, I see no response on the LED to any of the buttons I press on the remote control.

To help troubleshoot, can a list of the tested and confirmed remotes be shared? I'd like to figure out if it's a problem with the IR detector or a case of not using the correct remote.

Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sony remotes should certainly work

psl

Post by psl »

ladyada wrote:sony remotes certainly work, but im not sure if i remember that any of the example widgets use the IR port
I did read that the example widgets do not support the IR port at this time, but I should at least see the LED toggling on/off during bootload when I'm pushing remote control buttons as described, right? Or is there some magic sequence I need to go through to make this happen?

I just want to make sure that the IR port works correctly now rather than much, much later once a IR-compatible widget comes out.

I'll double check the soldering to make sure there isn't a cold joint, but, other than that, any other troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sorry im tired this morning
you have to connect to the bootloader webpage and select IRtest mode
(i believe)

psl

Post by psl »

That's the magic! Thanks ladyada!

I pointed my browser at the IP address showing on the bootloader (I should've thought of that) and selected "IR Test Mode".

Pointed my universal remote at the IR port and noted that the LED changed from steady-state green to pulsing white(?) every time I hold a button down. The frequency of the pulsing seems to change based on which brand the remote is configured for.

For example, on my remote, I have the TV button configured for Sony and the VCR button configured for NEC. If I select TV before pushing the 3 button, I see the pulsing occur at a fast rate when I push 3. If I select VCR before pushing the 3 button again, I see the pulsing occur at a slower rate.

I suppose this is related to whatever IR protocol each of these brands is using.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”