Passwords? We don't need no stinkin passwords...

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phildini

Passwords? We don't need no stinkin passwords...

Post by phildini »

Well this is a fine mess I've gotten myself into. When I initially started my ybox and accessed it through Firefox, it had two blank fields for a password. Being security conscious, I filled those fields in. Now, I can't upload widgets to the ybox. Curl says:

Code: Select all

HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required
I checked help and the man page, and both suggested I should use the -u option with 'admin' and my password. That didn't work. Suggestions appreciated!

darco

Post by darco »

You specify the password using curl with the following command line:

curl --anyauth http://admin:PASSWORD@YBOXIP/
Note: the "--anyauth" option is required because the ybox2 uses the http-digest authentication method.

If you happen to forget your password, you can do a password reset by holding down the button while the device is first booting until after it finishes a lot of warning beeps and then reboots.

phildini

Getting closer...

Post by phildini »

Doing that still doesn't work completely correctly, as it gives me:

HTTP/1.1 501 Not Implemented
I'd rather not full reset the password, because there are a few security apps I'd like to try with the ybox, but if it comes down to that I'm willing to do so...

darco

Post by darco »

Sounds like you aren't booted into the bootloader. Perhaps you have auto-boot turned on?

You can turn it off for a single boot by holding down the button on the ybox2 while it is booting until you hear a single "groan" and the TV displays "Autoboot aborted.". Don't hold it down too long or you will do a password reset on the unit.

You can only update the firmware from the bootloader.

darco

Post by darco »

Just as a reminder, the full command line for reflashing the firmware when you have a password set is this:

curl --anyauth http://admin:<PASSWORD>@<IPADDRESS>/stage2.eeprom -T newfirmware.binary
If you get a 501 from that, then you aren't in the bootloader.

phildini

Thanks!

Post by phildini »

That helped. I must've missed the part in the instructions that described having to hold the button for bootloading. Any way to turn off autobootloading?
Even more specifically, can having to push the button to load the new widget be overridden?

darco

Post by darco »

You must have turned on autoboot. You need to turn it off.

You can turn it off from the bootloader page.

The term "autobootloading" is confusing, as you are mixing two words that have different definitions. Autoboot makes the bootloader automatically replace itself with the program that you have uploaded. If autoboot is disabled (which it is by default), you will need to either press the physical button on the device or press the "stage two" link from the bootloader page.

phildini

...and again.

Post by phildini »

Thanks for that. Sorry for the confusion. Will turning off autoboot make it possible to do bootloading without any button pushing?

darco

Post by darco »

Turning off autoboot will prevent the device from booting to stage 2 without some sort of user intervention. That user intervention can be in the form of pressing and releasing the button after the bootloader has started, or by clicking on the "stage 2" link on the bootloader page.

If you want the device to boot to stage two without any user intervention, then you will want autoboot turned on. Just remember that if you want to change the program for stage 2 you will need to disable autoboot temporarily using the method described earlier.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”