Running Vista

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psyicman

Running Vista

Post by psyicman »

I have not got my kit in the mail yet but I already started getting ready for it by drilling a Altoids tin. I am learning to understand the basics of programing C, C++, and spin. I even downloading cUrl but when I try and run the program it dosnt work and by the topic header I am running Vista on an Alienware PC. Even running it under XP/2000 compadability tab checked. Is it only for XP/2000 or can it be run with vista?

middlerun

Re: Running Vista

Post by middlerun »

You are running it from the command line, right?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Can you be more specific about what you mean by 'it doesnt work'?

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

I just got my kit and have it compleated. Right now I'm in the prosses of getting it a IP adress and to get it in the tin. I'll try going over the steps very carfuly and let you know whats up and get back to you all.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

Now that I have my ybox2 up and running I'm having a worse problem. I think I might have broken something. At the part in the instuctions were you do your seconed test I set it all up to see if everything is going smoothly. Forgeting I left out resistors R8 and R11 by mistake not knowing wich of the colored resistors to use for them. I completed the build and had two resistors left, one blue with brown, brown, red, yellow, red rings in R11 and a tan one with brown, black, orange, gold, put in R8. When I realized I did not have those in place I quickly removed power. I get the info widget screen but I am at a loss now whats the matter. The LED blinks red and blue also. When I do hook it up to my linksis router my computer dosnt reconize it on the network and the ybox is not getting an IP address. Also as a side I got cUrl working finaly. I did not put the files into my windows folder.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

Well I don't think I broke anything. Last night I just left if pluged in for a while directly into my PC and eventualy I got an IP adress and the info widget worked. Well worked as in it showed up and said error for the widget. I was expecting that thought since I havent heard anything about it being fixed. But when I reset it to the bootloader to put a new widget in I could not ping my ybox with the IP adress it had. I tried waiting again but nothing happoned. I would like it to work with the router I have it's a WRT54G v.8 linksys router if that helps.

darco

Post by darco »

Sounds like you have run into the weird DHCP incompatibility issue.

If you have the ability to do a traffic dump, that would be very helpful.

It is generally easiest to do a traffic dump with a wired connection and a hub (not a switch). If you are using a mac, this command line would generally do the trick:

Code: Select all

sudo tcpdump -i en0 -s 4096 -w dumpfile.tcpdump
Start that, reboot the ybox2, and run it for a minute or two (without doing anything else on the network) and then press CTRL-C. With that dump file I can try to diagnose the issue and figure out what is going on.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

First off thanks for the help I'm getting on this forum Darco. I really like this project and I hope to learn as much as I can about using it. I'm running a PC (Alienware) with Vista not a Mac with a Linksys wireless router and I don't have the USB TTL cable yet. I'll have to order one of those anyway. How do I do that dump on a PC? And do I run that code in the CMD?

darco

Post by darco »

I'll have to research now to get a packet dump on windows. I'll get back to you.

The other possibility is to upgrade your bootloader to the latest beta version (using someone else's network I guess), and then set a static IP.

We'll get you set up though, although it may take a few days and a little work. If you are willing to work with me on the DHCP issue, we could likely get this bad issue worked out for good.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

Yeah I will work with you and you get to research into why these things have problems with linksys routers. I want to get this thing working and I injoy doing this kind of thing. I just am not a programer and only know a few things about computers and programing. I also have a laptop running off Wi-Fi that I tried hooking up to and I get the samething. I'm going to look into gettting a Cable and do the upgrade that way. I'll check radio shack or frys. Thanks for the help.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

I hooked my ybox into my secondary ethernet slot. When I do that it reconizes that something is pluged in but can't identife it, assigne an IP address, and says it has limited connectivity. Should I bridge the connection with my network since I have it set up to handle the IP stuff?

darco

Post by darco »

Unless you have your computer set up to be a DHCP server (I think you can do that by enabling internet sharing), this would be the expected behavior.

But you are on a good line of thought... You can try enabling internet connection sharing on that second interface and then you'll have your computer be the DHCP server instead of your linksys router. Then it will almost certainly work. From there you can upload the new bootloader and set a static IP address.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

Having the shared box checked runs another network on my computer and causes colusion and I can't get online. The only way I can get it to work is to bridge the connetions. I get activity but its still not getting an IP. I'm going to wait for a while and see if anything happons like last time. I have a prop cable comming in the mail ordered from adafruit. I'll try upgrading the Bootloader and try again when it comes. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help and let me know if there is anything else I can try.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

So once I get my prop cable and upgrade the bootloader how do I go about assigning an IP address to my ybox?

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

I hooked my ybox to my laptop again and used the free dhcp progame that someone else posted about to try and get and IP. The progame log shows it sees the MAC of my ybox but nothing happons. No IP or anything. Even tried waiting for an hour and a reset. One more trobleshoot idea though. What do you think darco?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”