Running Vista

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
psyicman

Re: Running Vista

Post by psyicman »

I got my prop cable, hacked it, and then upload the new bootloader to 1.1. Tried hooking it to my router, my secondary ethernet port, my laptop, and used the free DHCP server. I did all that and I am still not getting an IP address. I even tried to upload a new widget using the propcable. Every time I restart my ybox it goes back to the info widget as if I did not change the program. Also now I have to switch between PAL and NTSC to see the info or bootloader on the screen. So how do I assign an IP address to my ybox? I'm getting kind of discuraged that everything I'm trying is not working even after it just suddenly worked for like a few moments.
Last edited by psyicman on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

darco

Post by darco »

First, it sounds like you need to do a reset. When the ybox2 boots up, it should boot into the bootloader and not just boot into the infowidget---so it sounds like you have autoboot turned on.

Here is an excerpt from the comments in the bootloader source which describe how to reset the ybox2:

Code: Select all

TO RESET: Hold down the button while booting. Keep holding it
		down until the system reboots. You will hear a lot of warning chirps,
		but make sure you hold down the button until it reboots! After it reboots
		let go. Your ybox2 has been reset. This will erase every setting except
		for the MAC address, UUID, and LED configuration. If you forget the
		password, this is what you need to do.

TO BYPASS AUTOBOOT: Hold down the button while booting until you hear a single
		"groan" and the screen displays "Autoboot aborted.". At this point,
		the ybox2 will boot as if autoboot were disabled. This only applies
		to the current boot. DON'T HOLD DOWN THE BUTTON TOO LONG, OR ELSE THE
		UNIT WILL RESET.

TO BOOT INTO STAGE2: When the bootloader is 'idle' (rainbow-colored LED), press
		and release the button. Don't hold the button down, or else you will
		toggle the video mode!

TO TOGGLE NTSC/PAL: When the bootloader is 'idle' (rainbow-colored LED), press
		and hold the button until you hear a chirp---then let go.
After you reset the ybox2, it should boot into the bootloader and stay there. It will make a "happy chirp" (which is three short quick beeps) when it has been assigned a DHCP address. At that point you can then use a web browser to connect to your ybox2 and set the IP address manually. The ybox2 bootloader page looks something like this:

Simply disable DHCP and set the IP Address and netmask to the correct values for your network and click on 'submit'. After that, your ybox2 will no longer rely on DHCP for its IP address.

Resetting the ybox2 will reset these DHCP changes, so if you screw up and set it to a weird IP address just do the reset procedure and try again.

I know this is really frustrating for you, but I'm sure we will be able to get this working eventually.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

If I leave my ybox alone with the free DHCP server running I get a static IP address. It seems also that my ybox is only receiving info packits and not sending them. Now though I can't seem to ping or access the Bootloader page on my ybox or change the info widget. If I load a different widget and turn off my box it defalts to the info widget.
Last edited by psyicman on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

By messing with my internet setting I am getting one step closer to getting this all sorted out. I have my ybox now getting a static IP address. I have the Bootloader page popping up and I seem to be able to mess with the setting now. All very very good things. Now I just need to figure out my network stuff.

darco

Post by darco »

If I leave my ybox alone with the free DHCP server running I get a static IP address.
I think you are a tad confused. A IP address isn't a "static address" if it was assigned by a DHCP server. A "static" address simply means that it is set to something and won't change. The ybox2 will only have a "static" address if you disable DHCP on the ybox2 bootloader page. At that point it will always have the same IP address, DHCP or not. DHCP-assigned IP addresses are called "Dynamic addresses", because it could change. Since your linksys router isn't able to properly assign the ybox2 a "dynamic address" via DHCP, you need to set your ybox2 to have a "static address" so that you can still use it anyway. In order to do that, you need:
  • an unused IP address on your local network.
  • The netmask of your network (usually 255.255.255.0 for home networks)
  • IP of your router or gateway (usually the same first three number as your IP address except with a '1' or '254' at the end)
Once you set up a static IP address in the bootloader, the widgets you upload will inherit these settings.
Now though I can't seem to ping or access the Bootloader page on my ybox or change the info widget. If I load a different widget and turn off my box it defalts to the info widget.
This is a very confusing statement. How are you loading widgets? Via the propeller tool?

Keep in mind that if you load a widget with the propeller tool that it will overwrite the bootloader. This isn't usually a problem, because if you have the ability to overwrite the bootloader you generally have the ability to upload the bootloader back to it. But if you aren't aware if it, I'm sure it would be confusing as to why the bootloader doesn't come back.

There are two parts to the EEPROM, the first half and the second half. The propeller tool only writes to the first half. Normally, the bootloader resides on the first half. When you upload a widget to the bootloader, the bootloader will actually write it to the second half of the EEPROM. When the bootloader boots to "stage 2", it jettisons itself and loads the widget from the second half of the EEPROM. The only way to write a program to the second half of the EEPROM is with the bootloader.

Alternatively... If you can tell me your network information, I can write you a simple program which you can upload via the propeller tool which will set the static IP address for you. After running that program then you can upload the bootloader and it should "just work". This is just another option we can use if you are still having trouble.

I hope this helps. After we get this all sorted out I should read thru all of these threads and compile a more detailed manual for this thing. ^_^

psyicman

Post by psyicman »

Ok sorry for the confussion I did not mean to say static. I ment to say consistant. Its set by the free DHCP server. I was using the prop cable to upload widgets and confused on that part but now I get that. If I use the prop cable to upload a widget it over writes the bootloader. I think I have it all mostly worked out I know what to do now and will send you a detailed PM of how I resovled most of the problems in a while or if you want I will post it to the errata thread. Thanks for all your help darco.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”