My DHCP problem (and resolution.)

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
devoncrouse

My DHCP problem (and resolution.)

Post by devoncrouse »

I'd just like to share my initial experience with getting my YBox2 connected, now that I've resolved the problem.

What didn't work:
I first booted up the device after construction, and was unable to get an IP address (Stuck on DHCP...) I have a WRT54G v6 with current firmware and DHCP server enabled; though I've generally kept this off and set static IPs in my home, I did verify that I can obtain an address from any of these machines with the service turned on.

Nothing I've tried has allowed me to get an IP on the unit (though I was not yet ready to undertake the test of changing my router IP - and that of every machine in my house - to see if this was the problem. Router is at 192.168.50.1, DHCP range of 192.168.50.95-100.)

Using Wireshark, I can see the DHCP Discover packet, but no Offer in response.

What did work:
I downloaded a free windows DHCP server at http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm (it's a pretty tiny/simple utility - came up second in a Google search. Set some options in the .ini file like host IP and DHCP range and you're set) and started it up, with the YBox2 connected directly to my machine. Before I could start up Wireshark to watch for the handshake, it chirped and gave me an IP (host: 10.10.10.1 client: 10.10.10.10.) I can access the bootloader config at this address and everything seems functional.

Seems to be an issue with the DHCP server on my WRT54G - one that doesn't affect the rest of my network. Hope this helps.
022309 122_Small.jpg
022309 122_Small.jpg (172.9 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
022309 126_Small.jpg
022309 126_Small.jpg (226.65 KiB) Viewed 3812 times

arthoo

Re: My DHCP problem (and resolution.)

Post by arthoo »

I seem to have a similar problem.
My Thomson modem doesn't want to give a lease.
Found an unused Fritzbox that works. Weird!

Coniferous

Post by Coniferous »

Hey have you checked out the bootloader upgrade? I know they were aware of the problems with the wrt54g dhcp server and fixed the problem in the latest release.

That being said, know that technique with the mini dhcp server is handy to know for sure.

arthoo

Post by arthoo »

Well, first tried the dhcp server and all worked.
Then I made (and tested) myself an adaptor for an ftdi 3,3V but did not need it.
The bootloader 806 installed itself without a problem.
Still no DHCP-lease from the Thomson modem so now using the
static ip-address option.
The infowidget is now polling an BANNED XE internal webserver and displaying
database data. NICE!

I will try to add a ir-reader to switch datasets.
How many cogs does the info widget use? did anybody count?

grtz Art.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”