Data Logging Shield not working on Mega

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KKronholm

Data Logging Shield not working on Mega

Post by KKronholm »

Just finish the build on a data logging shield and could not get it to work (run SdFatInfo Sketch) on my Arduino Mega. However It seems to work on my Arduino Duemilanove just fine. I haven't dug to deeply into the difference between the two, but was under the impression that the left side pins/programming were the same. any sugestions?

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Data Logging Shield not working on Mega

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Mega uses different pins for the SPI interface. You will need to make some changes to talk to the SD card. See here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... ega#p76595

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

those mods arent necessary for the mega, check this thread instead
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16202
:)

tommykay

Post by tommykay »

Hopefully the next guy trying to debug the data logger shield will find this. The real time clock doesn't work on the Arduino Mega 2560. Apparently some pins are in a different place. RTC won't work on a Mega.

If you run the DS1307 sketch from the RTClib examples folder, as it says to do in the http://www.ladyada.net/make/logshield/rtc.html IT WONT WORK. The serial monitor shows repeating time info, but the time doesn't change. Just the same as if there is no battery. And to make it more frustrating, it does not display the "RTC is NOT running!" message as the documentation shows.

Thankfully, it works perfectly well on an Uno, or I'd still be tearing my hair out.

Perhaps some admin could put a note on the page above? I spent an hour debugging this. I thought I fried something. That wasted time would have been avoided if the Adafruit pages noted this incompatibility. None of the Adafruit Data Logger pages mention it as far as I can tell, and that's not right.

Generally a *really* happy Adafruit customer.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

thanks, we thought this had been added to the product description. this kit was probably developed before we carried the Mega is why!

tycho

Post by tycho »

Is it possible to get a more detailed explaination of 'Data Logging Shield not compatible with Mega'?

If it's simply a matter of reassigning a couple pins, that's one thing but is it something else?

Is it only with the RTC funtionality or is it with the SD Card portion or both?

If the SD Data Logger v1.0 shield can be made to work with a Mega, could you please post the complete fix?
And maybe add a link to the Data Logger product page?

My datalogger seems to work intermittently. Lately I've been getting 'card not detected' type error when running the SD Card Info sketch. Is this the same incompatibility problem or something else (hardware failure?)

Add to this some intermittent upload/timeout errors with the Mega using Arduino IDE 1.0, and it has been a frustrating few weeks for my Ardy project!!

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Here is a recently posted sketch that works on the Mega with no wiring changes:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=27245

tycho

Post by tycho »

Thank you for your quick response, but you didn't answer my questions:

Is it possible to get a more detailed explaination of 'Data Logging Shield not compatible with Mega'?

If it's simply a matter of reassigning a couple pins, that's one thing but is it something else?

Is it only with the RTC funtionality or is it with the SD Card portion or both?

If the SD Data Logger v1.0 shield can be made to work with a Mega, could you please post the complete fix?
And maybe add a link to the Data Logger product page?

My datalogger seems to work intermittently. Lately I've been getting 'card not detected' type error when running the SD Card Info sketch. Is this the same incompatibility problem or something else (hardware failure?)

adafruit_support_bill

Thank you for your quick response, but you didn't answer my questions:
As you can see the solution I linked to was posted less than a week ago. We have not had a chance to analyze and evaluate it. I am sure that this solution is up to fat16lib's usual high standards of work and we thank him for generously making it available to the community.
Unless this pertains to a Mega, you should start a new thread and post photos of the board. It is likely a hardware failure of some sort.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”