Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

motor shield to 8 wire unipolar stepper
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

motor shield to 8 wire unipolar stepper

by michaelcasselli on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 pm

I am in the middle of working through the motor shield and have an 8 wire unipolar stepper motor. I have identified the a+ a- b+ b- wires 1 is a+ 2 is a+ 3 is a- 4 is a- 5 is b+ 6 is b+ 7 is b- 8 is b- and I am a bit confused as to the hook up sequence to the motor shield. I have been using steppers for a number of things recently and have had to use 4 wires a+ a-, b+ b- to run them, and know that the remaining wires are shorted to each other, but again, am confused as to how to arrange the wires from the motor I have to the shield. Any suggestions?
Michael

michaelcasselli

Re: motor shield to 8 wire unipolar stepper

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:12 am

Your motor is likely a bifilar wound motor. It has 4 coils. You want to connect them into two pairs of series windings. This will be equivalent to a '6 wire' unipolar motor. Connect the two center taps together (equivalent to a '5 wire' unipolar), then conect the center taps to the ground terminal on the shield. You will now have 2 pairs of wires corresponding to the 2 sets of series-wound coils. You may need to experiment a bit with the polarity of those until you find a wiring configuration that steps smoothly.

Check the resources page for more info on motor types: http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/resources.html

adafruit_support_bill

by michaelcasselli on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 am

When you say the two center taps, how does one identify which are center taps? I have metered for resistance and have those wires which have continuity paired up and the break down I gave previously reflects that. I should also say that each pair reads the same resistance . So, I am assuming a+ a+ is one coil , a- a- is another coil and so on. If this is the case and all pairs exhibit the same resistance and continuity, how does one decipher which wires are center tap? I guess I am in the dark because I have made the connector for the motor, and other times I have been able to look up the pinouts based on wire color, and, I have never dealt with this type of unipolar motor before. Plus I have only dealt with a+a- pairings with two sets of the wires shorted to each other.
Thanks for the help
Michael

michaelcasselli

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:49 am

Start with 2 of your coils. When you wire them in series, you get what is effectively one coil with a center tap. The 'center tap' is the pair you twisted together.

adafruit_support_bill

by michaelcasselli on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Arduwino,
Thanks for the nomenclature, it is what I thought but did not know the language. So, I have the motor jogging back and forth but not spinning. Is this where the polarity changes come into play? I assume that right now the coils are not firing in the correct sequence. Continuity implies the same coil, so is there a way that it can be sorted out easily, or is it a matter of swapping wiring around til it works?
Michael

michaelcasselli

by michaelcasselli on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Well, identified the coils, the center tap, and have tried all possible combinations of polarity and all I get is a back and forth jog of the motor as it goes through all the steps of the sketch. Any thoughts?

michaelcasselli

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Im guessing that it is a bifilar wound motor. (see jones: http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/types.html#bifilar)
You will have to try different pairings of the coils too.

adafruit_support_bill

by Train Tester on Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi Michael,

I'm trying to connect an 8 wire stepper myself,

Did you have any success?

I'm struggling, I have my coil pairs and my wires are as follows - 1 = black, 2= blue, 3 = yellow, 4 = red, 5 = green, 6 = brown, 7 = purple and 8 = white.

Any chance you could help out?
Train Tester