1 * 2.8" TFT Touch Shield microSD Card slot

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rwarren1

1 * 2.8" TFT Touch Shield microSD Card slot

Post by rwarren1 »

:evil: I have tried a number of time to get the adafruit SD card library to recognize that I have a microSD Card in the shield. The sketch recognized my microSD Card ONE time. It said, "Initializing SD card, wiring correct etc., however, it also recognized that I did not partition the microSD card with the FAT16/FAT32 file system. Now that I've done that, it is not recognizing my card. I beginning to believe it's definitely a problem with the TFT Touch Screen shield microSD Card slot.

I am using #define SD_CS 5 and chipSelect 5.

How do I go about receiving another TFT Touch Shield??? I have my invoice handy and it has been less than 30 days. Please reply.

adafruit

Re: 1 * 2.8" TFT Touch Shield microSD Card slot

Post by adafruit »

it sounds like it is something with the card and not the slot. if we replaced it, then you'd probably have the same issue. please do not make new threads for the same problem because it makes debugging your shield much more difficult if we have to track down many posts in different forums

are you using the example sketches for the touch shield?

rwarren1

Post by rwarren1 »

:shock: Yes. I'm able to get the TFTpaintsheild to work and the Graphics test to work. I'm having trouble getting the CardInfo sketch to read my card which has been formatted to the FAT32 file system. I am using #define SD_CS 5 and chipSelect 5 for the Adafruit shield. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I did not partition the microSD card with the FAT16/FAT32 file system. Now that I've done that, it is not recognizing my card.
That's a little different than what you said in the previous thread. How did you format it if your PC doesn't have a card slot? Are both cards readable on whatever system you used to format them?

rwarren1

Post by rwarren1 »

I can only format a regular size SD Card. I cannot format a microSD Card. When the sketch read my card the first time, my card was unformatted. How do I replace the shield?

adafruit_support_bill

When the sketch read my card the first time, my card was unformatted.
So the shield did work. What we are trying to establish is what happened since. As Adafruit said, it sounds like a card problem.

rwarren1

Post by rwarren1 »

:| What card would you recommend purchasing for the microSD card slot? I currently have the "PYN" 4GB microSD card.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the 2 GB cards we have in the shop are guaranteed to work as long as you DO NOT try to format them again

rwarren1

Post by rwarren1 »

:cry: after I purchase your 2GB card from adafruit, please tell me the next step to take for getting the tiger.bmp onto my adafruit shield. I have already downloaded the tiger.bmp to the library. What comes next? Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

You need to copy the bmp file to the card. The card comes with an adapter so you can use it in any machine with an SD slot.

rwarren1

Post by rwarren1 »

:?: I haven't purchased your card yet. I've been trying to use my PYN 4GB microSD card which has been formatted to a FAT32 file system. Could it be that it just simply doesn't like my 4GB microCard? Is your TFT Shield really that picky? Thanks,

adafruit_support_bill

It is possible. Different cards have different timings and some work better than others.

klaue2

Post by klaue2 »

I am also having difficulty with my 2.8" TFT Touch Shield microSD reader, received in the mail last week.

I can get the shield to display a single image before I get an "Initalizing SD Card...failed!" Error. It will successfully draw one image upon a reset of the Arduino (I'm using the tftbmp_shield example with lines 68-96 copied into the loop () with the "tiger.bmp" replaced with a character array and being incremented by a for() loop)

The error is repeatable with both the provided example bmp and custom images. Swapping out microSD cards and formatting styles of the card does not change the result.

Thoughts?

adafruit_support_bill

You should only call SD.begin() once in startup().

klaue2

Post by klaue2 »

That would explain a few things - I took that part out of the loop, but I still can't get it to draw more than a single image.
Here's the code I'm trying to use to test:

Code: Select all

bmpFile = SD.open("tiger.bmp");
            disableSPI();
            bmpdraw(bmpFile, 0, 0);
            disableSPI();
            delay(1000);
            bmpFile = SD.open("test.bmp");
            disableSPI();
            bmpdraw(bmpFile, 0, 0);
            disableSPI();
            delay(1000);
            bmpFile = SD.open("test2.bmp");
            disableSPI();
            bmpdraw(bmpFile, 0, 0);
            disableSPI();
Is there something I should be different to draw a new bmp on the screen?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”