em-408 GPS Module...

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
freedom

Re: em-408 GPS Module...

Post by freedom »

adafruit_support wrote:The tutorial is applicable to any module that has Tx, Rx, VCC and Gnd connections. http://www.ladyada.net/make/gpsshield/wiring.html
Check the 408 specs to find the pinouts: http://www.usglobalsat.com/store/downlo ... 408_ug.pdf
Actually I don't see how, my 408 chip does not work when connected to the TX RX + PWR as detailed….

just tried ringing you but no one answers, i got a message saying email, i emailed and it told me to come back here……
help……..

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

freedom wrote:Actually I don't see how, my 408 chip does not work when connected to the TX RX + PWR as detailed…. just tried ringing you but no one answers, i got a message saying email, i emailed and it told me to come back here…… help……..
hiya!

it's 6:30pm ET so our phone messages likely indicated support options.

can you help us determine when you purchased this GPS? do you have an order #?

thanks,
adafruit support

freedom

Post by freedom »

adafruit wrote:
freedom wrote:Actually I don't see how, my 408 chip does not work when connected to the TX RX + PWR as detailed…. just tried ringing you but no one answers, i got a message saying email, i emailed and it told me to come back here…… help……..
hiya!

it's 6:30pm ET so our phone messages likely indicated support options.

can you help us determine when you purchased this GPS? do you have an order #?

thanks,
adafruit support
i bought it last year

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

i bought it last year
From Adafruit?

If you post a photo showing all your connections, we can take a look.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We do not sell EM-408 model GPS units - the GPS shield is only meant to work with the -406

If the GPS unit is not working, please contact the place you purchased it from to verify it works - we can only guarantee the '406 model is tested to work with the Adafruit GPS shield

freedom

Post by freedom »

adafruit_support wrote:
i bought it last year
From Adafruit?

If you post a photo showing all your connections, we can take a look.
can you tell me exactly what the pin outs are meant to be.
I can't get it at all…
The 3 wires are wired in as on this diagram from the pin outs as detailed on the 408 data pdf….

adafruit_support_bill

You have those wires are correctly identified. But they are not the ones to connect to your module. They connect to Arduino pins as in the tutorial.

The PWR signal controls a transistor that switches power to the module.
The Rx signal is a 5v signal that is level shifted to 3.3v so that it will not damage your module.
The Tx signal will be the data transmitted from your module.

At a minimum, your module will need connections for: PWR (switched), GND, Rx (buffered) & Tx. If your module connector is not compatible with the one on-board, then you can make these connections to the GPS breakouts on the upper left side of the photo below (just inside the digital pin breakouts).

freedom

Post by freedom »

Thanks can you actually point these out to me as you seem to be identifying the very pins I have labled, unless they are to be connected to both the breakout pins as in the tutorial and the module … ? which I doubt.
Thanks.
adafruit_support wrote:You have those wires are correctly identified. But they are not the ones to connect to your module. They connect to Arduino pins as in the tutorial.

The PWR signal controls a transistor that switches power to the module.
The Rx signal is a 5v signal that is level shifted to 3.3v so that it will not damage your module.
The Tx signal will be the data transmitted from your module.

At a minimum, your module will need connections for: PWR (switched), GND, Rx (buffered) & Tx. If your module connector is not compatible with the one on-board, then you can make these connections to the GPS breakouts on the upper left side of the photo below (just inside the digital pin breakouts).

adafruit_support_bill

Sorry, I was looking at an older version of the board. The best solution is probably to make an adapter from an EM-406 cable.

freedom

Post by freedom »

adafruit_support wrote:Sorry, I was looking at an older version of the board. The best solution is probably to make an adapter from an EM-406 cable.
Now I am confused, I was going to do that in the first place !

adafruit_support_bill

So what exactly is the question then?

freedom

Post by freedom »

adafruit_support wrote:So what exactly is the question then?
Oh I was just trying to figure out how to wire it in as I was told I could without the socket, I will buy a plug and wire an adaptor, thanks

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”