tft sd uno

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jeffwest

tft sd uno

Post by jeffwest »

Hello
I'm trying to get the sd examples to work with a touch shield and it's sd card.
Looking at the tutorial it said -
"If you need to use the microSD card holder look carefully at the example sketch to see the steps to initialize the card and TFT in order."
I modified the cardinfo example to reflect that and So far I've gotten to

Initializing SD card...Wiring is correct and a card is present.
Card type: Unknown
Could not find FAT16/FAT32 partition.
Make sure you've formatted the card

The card and display run the tftbmp_shield demo displaying the tiger, so the card is there and it is formatted. There are also 3 other files that can be displayed.
Any ideas?
Is this an addressing problem in the sd utilities.
I'm running an Uno with a 2.8 touchShield with the onboard sd card and 1.0
Thanks
Jeff

adafruit_support_bill

Re: tft sd uno

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The card and display run the tftbmp_shield demo displaying the tiger, so the card is there and it is formatted. There are also 3 other files that can be displayed.
I'm not understanding the problem. If the shield and SD card work as stated above, what do you change to make them not work?

jeffwest

Post by jeffwest »

I'm trying to get the arduino sd examples to work with the tft shield with it's attached sd card. Sd examples as in : Cardinfo, Datalogger, Files, listfiles, Read write. In other words, with the tft shield attached use the onboard sd card for something other than displaying tigers. Yes I know that the arduino examples for the sd card need to be changed so that the sd card on the tft shield can be used.

" The SD card socket shares pins with the TFT, so many of the 'default' example sketches for the SD card will not work without following the initialization steps in this sketch.
Run this BMP drawing sketch."
This Sketch works

" If you need to use the microSD card holder look carefully at the example sketch to see the steps to initialize the card and TFT in order"
I put the initialization steps into the Cardinfo schetch.

"You'll also need to download our SD library modifyied to allow faster reads"
Did that.
"FOR MEGA ARDUINOS edit the SD/utility/Sd2Card.h file"
I have an Uno.

So the good news is that the modified Cardinfo example runs and sees the sd card, but dies somewhere in the sd library. Mabe in the undocumented calls in SD/utility/Sd2Card.h file used in the Cardinfo schetch.
We just want to be able to read and write and "use" the sd card on the tft shield.
The tiger is Great! Now for a data logger ( or something ) with a display!
Thanks
Jeff

jeffwest

Post by jeffwest »

All
I modified the arduino example sd schetch "File" to include the tft-sd setup.
"If you need to use the microSD card holder look carefully at the example sketch to see the steps to initialize the card and TFT in order"
I managed to get this to work creating and then deleting "myFile" the example.text file. I commented out the delete file " SD.remove("example.txt");" and ran it again. Pulling the flash card and checking it on a card reader, I did have the file "example.txt" written from the arduino to the card. Hey, it works! ---- All this while having a tiger look at me as it doesn"t rewrite the screen.
Now for the rest of the examples - CardInfo, DataLogger, ListFiles, ReadWrite. Someone must have done all this already.
Later
Jeff

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”