Using the logger shield to log pwm inputs and servo deflections

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aerosam

Using the logger shield to log pwm inputs and servo deflections

Post by aerosam »

Hi

I have been using the sketch supplied with the logger shield and it seems to work fine.
I want to record the surface deflections on my rc aircraft. So i was planning to take a tap out of the servo potentiometers, but that would mean large wire lengths(about a meter) leading to the datashield. Is it good to transmit analog signals over this range?

I would also like to record pwm inputs from my radio and angular rates from a gyro(available as a digital signal).
I see from shieldlists that the logger shield has pins A0-A3 free. What about the digital pins, could i use them to record these values.
Wouldn't an elegant solution be to mux all these signals and send them to the logger shield?

I realize that this is more of an application of the shield, but i would appreciate some advice as i am an electronics newbie.

Thanks
Sam

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using the logger shield to log pwm inputs and servo deflections

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is it good to transmit analog signals over this range?
1 meter in an electrically noisy environment could be a problem. You might want to run shielded or twisted pair - and try to keep them away from your servo cables.

The shield has A0-A3 and D0-D9 available for use. With a port expanders, you could have more if needed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”