Wireless SD Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
boomerbd

Wireless SD Shield

Post by boomerbd »

I am trying to get my wireless shield up and running, Im almost there. I have a mac mini with ox lion. I went to the digi.com site and downloaded the x-ctu software. I installed it under wine. I had previously installed minibloq so i was somewhat familiar with creating a virtual link. Minibloq works after link to com1 on applequsers. When I tried to run xctu, of course, it does not recognize com port. I copied the com1 link to the xctu to the /contents/resources/dosdevices subdirectory in the content package of the wineskin app folder for xctu. Xctu still does not recognize com1. any suggestions? i am a novice at using terminal

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wireless SD Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Wireless SD shield is not a product that we sell or support at Adafruit. You can try the Digi forums, or contact the place where you bought the shield.

boomerbd

Post by boomerbd »

ok, I bought 3 xbee series 1 modules and and two adapter boards from you and i still can't get xctu to recognize com1

adafruit_support_bill

I don't have any experience with XCTU on a Mac. But there is a native app for configuring XBees now:
http://www.faludi.com/2012/04/27/xbee-c ... macintosh/

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

com1 is not a macosx port name. You have to map the actual mac port name to com1 inside of wine.

There is a page here which might help you out. Among other things, it says this:
So plug in the adaptor and now you have to do some work in the terminal. This is per the instructions of wine. In order to make something like this available to wine you have to create a symbolic link to the serial port in your /dev directory inside of the ~/.wine/dosdevices directory. You’ll find the proper entry for the device in /dev if you have many serial devices plugged in or if you have never seen one before it may be helpful to do one directory listing with the device unplugged, and then plug it in and do it again and see what has been added to the /dev directory. The FTDI drivers create 2 separate entries. It may not matter but I linked to the one that began with tty. and that worked. Mine is named “tty.usbserial-A600ezYy” to make it available to wine you need to put a link named “com1” or something similar inside the dosdevices directory like:

ln -s /dev/tty.usbserual-A600ezYy ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1

This is now where I ran up against my first and only problem with getting this to work. Perhaps I just didn’t read the instructions for the X-CTU program properly but even after doing the link nothing showed up in the list of ports in the app. It turns out you have to enter them manually.

boomerbd

Post by boomerbd »

I set the virtual link properly with the file and link in its proper placed as evidenced by minibloq working. However, it still does not recognize it. I contacted digicom, but they blew me off by saying they did not support mac. Short sighted on their part. I hope adafruit will take back my modules back.

boomerbd

Post by boomerbd »

i'm no rocket scientist but i am not a dummy either. This xbee is too complicated for me

adafruit_support_bill

At this point it is more of a software/OS problem than an XBee problem. XCTU isn't even finding your com port to talk to the XBee.

Have you tried the motosenso Network Iron app? It is a free download and runs native on the mac.
http://www.moltosenso.com/client/fe/bro ... wnload.php

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”