Audio Shield v1.1 no sound at all

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vanakaru

Audio Shield v1.1 no sound at all

Post by vanakaru »

I do not get any sound through speakers nor earphones. When using example sketch dap_hc.pde I see my samples play off the SD card when viewing on Serial Monitor(Arduino app 0023). So the wav's are OK and reading SD is OK, play function is OK. But no sound when pot is turned.
Solder joints look fine(this is not the first board I assemble), All parts are checked to be in right order in right places.
Do you have a suggestion where to go with trouble-shooting. I did not solder micro-chips direct to the board, so I can replace the easy. But maybe there are some tests to try first(test voltages maybe).
BTW I am using UNO Arduino board.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Audio Shield v1.1 no sound at all

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post photos of the front & back of the board, we can review your assembly.
Since the problem appears to be in the DAC/OpAmp part of the circuit, you can try the "cheap headphone" diagnostic:http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 019#p64984

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru »

2.jpg
2.jpg (279.54 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (286.65 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
I do not understand well what you mean by ”get the waveshield to 'play' a long 1Khz note”. If you mean make a long tone and put this on SD and fire up the Arduino+Sound Shield and test with earbuds as described - then no sound is to hear. Once again I see it playing fine(serial monitor-first text then ...........................).

adafruit_support_bill

Any particular reason you chose to socket all the chips? Make sure all your chips are firmly seated in the sockets. Using the same headphone, do you hear any noise (tone or static) on any of the pins of the DAC?

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru »

No particular reason for socket. I just find a pain to unsolder fried chip.
All is double checked many times.
I get some noises on some pins- Pin1 continuos hum type noise, all others small crackle when connecting, pin7/8 nothing.

adafruit_support_bill

I can't see the part numbers on the photo. Check to make sure that you have the DAC and OpAmp in the right locations.

I would expect to hear some static-y noise on pins 3, 4 & 5 as a wav is playing. This is the digital data coming into the DAC.

What about the jumpers on pins 2-5? Do you hear anything on those?

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru »

Really faint hum/static on DAC pins. Nothing but small crackle when connected on jumpers. Also pot has no effect on all tests conducted so far. However its resistance values seems to in order.
Last edited by vanakaru on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

And the serial output indicates that a wav file is playing as you perform these tests?

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru »

Yes, indeed it show text and my wav name(222.wav) then ...........

Code: Select all

Wave test!
Free RAM: 672
Using partition 1, type is FAT16
Files found:
TRASHE~1/
DE0B2D~1.001/
  636573~1
222.WAV
_~1.TRA

Subdir: TRASHE~1/
Subdir: DE0B2D~1.001/
  Playing 636573~1 Not a valid WAV
Playing 222.WAV
I get really faint hum on DAC pins 345

adafruit_support_bill

I'd expect that you would hear at least some static there. Those pins are coming directly from the Arduino. Make sure you have a good connection from the sleeve of the headphone plug to ground.

ai-#15837

Post by ai-#15837 »

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem!
I'm using an Arduino UNO and a wave shield (v1.1) and when I tested it with the daphc.pde example code, it said 'playing' and printed out dots, but no sound appeared. I tried with headphones and speakers, and everything is in the right format (mono, uncompressed, 8.3 filename, etc.)
This has been delaying our turret project for two weeks–please help!

adafruit_support_bill

I'd suggest you start with the same diagnostic process then. See the second post in the thread.

vanakaru

Re: Audio Shield v1.1 no sound at all SOLVED

Post by vanakaru »

I got my problem solved. And it is the weird one.
The thing is that i bought a wave shield from seller on eBay Emartee more than year ago. Their shields use the same WavHC library only their shields use different pins
”Wavhc libraries use four of the default pins of Arduino on the 2, 3, 4, and 5, but our Arduino IDC shield on the IDC - 6 seats is with Arduino 6, 7, 8, 9”
So you need to modify the library.
But since the library name is the same and one year is rather long time for me I totally forgot. So when I uploaded the sketch I used Arduino IDE with this modded library and got stuff going on different pins. I then installed the original WaveHC library and all works as it should.
I hope my case helps somebody that comes to this searching. And thanks for great help and trouble shooting tips.

ai-#15837

Post by ai-#15837 »

adafruit_support wrote:
I'd suggest you start with the same diagnostic process then. See the second post in the thread.
Results: No sound anywhere except a faint hum from one side of R7 (the side closest to that black thingy).
I then pressed the Reset button. The program restarted and a message popped up on my computer that said 'A USB device connected to your computer has been drawing too much power. All USB devices have been disabled until you disconnect it.' :shock:
I might not be doing it right. I'm a software person. Lazy-Bum Hardware Guy should be doing this, but he's too busy playing video games :roll:

adafruit_support_bill

If you post clear photos of the front & back of the board we'll take a look.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”