Datalogger, Mega, resistor inconsistency

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_rick

Re: Datalogger, Mega, resistor inconsistency

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Well, then, I'm out of ideas. The most likely site of failure is still the surface-mount solders on the SD carrier. When you were checking continuity, maybe you were touching a pad rather than a pin? Or maybe you've got a solder bridge?

wylbur

Post by wylbur »

Apologies, I'm now offline until Monday when I will pick this back up. I hope we can sort it out then! -- wylbur

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I agree with Driverblock. Re-touch the surface-mount solder joints. These are the most common problem areas on these boards. Make sure that the solder wets the pad as well as the pin.

wylbur

Post by wylbur »

When I checked continuity on the SD holder, I was definitely touching solder rather than the pin itself. The solder covers the pin, and that might be the problem. But if the solder is connected to the board, wouldn't the pin necessarily be the connection? Not sure what else to check, but I'll try again. thanks for your thoughts -- wylbur.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Wylbur. If there is marginal solder joint on one of these pins, pressing on it with a probe will most likely make it conductive. Any continuity test that involves probing the joint in question is going to be inconclusive.

Better to re-touch with a soldering iron. Try to put the tip of the iron on the solder pad instead of the pin. This heats the joint from below and draws the solder to the pad.

wylbur

Post by wylbur »

hi Adafruit,

ok, I went back to it and resoldered all the SD holder pins. Nothing. Did it again. Nothing. I gave up on that shield.

Fortunately for my project (which has to be packed for the playa tomorrow), I bought an extra data logger shield. I assembled it just now, and the RTC and the SD worked first time.

So I'll put the non-working shield in with the other stuff that doesn't work, along with several LED strands, both eTapes, a couple of Diavolinos, and a bunch of little perf-board experiments. Maybe at some point I'll circle back to figure out what's up with that stuff, but time has totally run out for this round.

Thanks for the debugging help -- wylbur.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”