Powering large speakers with wave shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adielfernandez

Powering large speakers with wave shield

Post by adielfernandez »

Hello everyone,

I just bought a wave shield and I'm trying to use it to power some speaker cones I pulled out of a broken home stereo system. I dont really know the specs of the speakers though I can post a photo of them if that helps. I got the speakers to work before using the wave shield by connecting the arduino to a transistor and switching a 12V source to the speakers using the tone() function. It worked beautifully and was super loud!

I figured I could hook up the wave shield output to the same transistor but it didnt work. I now realize its probably because the wave shield puts out an analog signal and is not really getting the full 5 volts to trigger the gate on the transistor like the digital signal from the tone() function did.

I am trying to put the speakers in a small box to make a "lighting box", a box that simulates thunder and lighting with sound and high power LEDs. How do I power these great little loud speaker cones with the wave shield?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Powering large speakers with wave shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

An audio amplifier such as this one will do the job: http://www.adafruit.com/products/987

esperanto

Post by esperanto »

Any idea when the amplifier in question will be back in stock? It looks like it's been unavailable most of the month. Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The availability estimate on the product page is our best guess. We are ramping up our production lines after the move.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”