1.8" TFT Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dchengster

1.8" TFT Shield

Post by dchengster »

I just got my order in the mail today.
Soldered the pins onto the shield, loaded the 2 libraries onto Arduino 1.0.1 and uploaded the shield test sketch.
Not currently using an SD card, upon finishing, screen is white. Nothing comes up.
Serial monitor shows that the joystick is working and when pressed in, it attempts to read the non-existing SD card.
Does this sketch only read an SD card? Is there another way to test the screen when not using a SD?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 1.8" TFT Shield

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It should print text to the screen when moving the joystick. What kind of Arduino do you have this attached to?

If you post photos showing all your soldering, we'll check it out.

dchengster

Post by dchengster »

photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (640.51 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (413.67 KiB) Viewed 2068 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (600.74 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

dchengster

Post by dchengster »

Sorry about the upside down photos, hate the Apple sometimes.

I'm using a Duemilanove 328, powered from USB.
When I press reset on the shield and wait about 4 seconds, the white screen goes away and a 'snow' screen appears for 0.5 seconds and then back to the white screen.
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG (565.34 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

adafruit_support_bill

You should be seeing text on a black background on the screen when you move the joystick. I don't see any problem with your soldering.
Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

dchengster

Post by dchengster »

Will do, thanks for your help.

shiggity

Post by shiggity »

I am having the exact same problem with the 1.8" TFT Shield, Uno R3 and the ST7735 & Adafruit GFX libraries.
The screen is all white and Serial Monitor shows that the joystick works.
Any news on this or am I looking at a replacement?

adafruit_support_bill

@shiggity - post a photo showing all your soldering.

attila.aranyi

Post by attila.aranyi »

Hi,

Just received the shield 2 days ago and I'm having the same problem... white screen, nothing displayed - console log looks good, picture is loaded from SD

Arduino is an UNO R3 from Adafruit (bought with the starter pack (the BMP085 works properly - same shipping)

Any idea how to fix?
Thank you,

randrews

Post by randrews »

I have this exact same problem:

I'm using a brand-new Arduino Uno, I'm able to run the ASCII chart sketch on it no problem. When I run the shield test sketch (using either the red-label init line or the green-label one, doesn't matter) the joystick prints its status to the serial port but the screen is just solid white.

Here are links to some pictures of my solder joints; I think they're fine because the backlight comes on and the joystick works: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84998402@N ... 985017564/

There's nothing obviously wrong with the screen, it's not taped very well on to the PCB but the ribbon cable looks fine.

So, is there anything I'm doing wrong, or can I get a replacement shield? Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

@Attila - Please post photos showing all your soldering.

@randrews - Soldering looks good. Contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Hi guys, please hold off on getting replacement shields just yet - its almost certainly not a hardware issue. we fixed a few things in the latest version of the library and it may have broken some stuff (as the IDE's do change a little sometimes)

Please try deleting the ST7735 library and loading this one
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-ST ... 6af679.zip
and let us know if that helps! :)

attila.aranyi

Post by attila.aranyi »

Hi all,

just tested and the shieldtest works - graphics test and the highspeed graphics test does not - have to check the changes you made .... I'll however attach the picture as there is pretty much backlight leakage - seems the lcd isn't properly glued - if i gently press, it will stick to the PCB for few seconds... maybe a minute - any quick fix for this ?

-image attached-

Thanks,
Attachments
soldering.jpg
soldering.jpg (85.02 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

randrews

Post by randrews »

Cool, I'll try the new library when I get home. Hope it works! I'm having the same issue with the screen being unstuck from the PCB; I was going to try a chunk of foam tape or something (or just build the enclosure to hold it on). Think that'll help?

Also, I'm working on a design for a 3d-printed enclosure for an Arduino + this shield. When it's finished, anyone want one?

randrews

Post by randrews »

Yep, the new library works perfectly on shieldtest, doesn't work on graphicstest, but in a little bit I'll figure out what the diff is and I bet graphicstest will work too. It's definitely not a hardware problem.

Unfortunately I placed an order for a replacement last night, and it already shipped.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”