1.8" TFT Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
randrews

Re: 1.8" TFT Shield

Post by randrews »

I figured it out; I can run both graphicstest and graphicstest_highspeed on the shield now:

The difference was that shieldtest and graphicstest default to using different pins. At the top of the file, there is a set of #defines, like this:

Code: Select all

#define cs   6
#define dc   7
#define rst  8
Change these to match the corresponding lines in shieldtest; so cs ought to be 10, dc 8, and rst -1 (make sure you're looking at TFT_CS and not SD_CS in shieldtest). Then, to use highspeed graphics, below those are two different calls to Adafruit_ST7735(), one labeled "option 1" and one labeled "option 2". Comment out option 1 and use option 2, like this:

// Option 1: use any pins but a little slower
//Adafruit_ST7735 tft = Adafruit_ST7735(cs, dc, mosi, sclk, rst);

// Option 2: must use the hardware SPI pins
Adafruit_ST7735 tft = Adafruit_ST7735(cs, dc, rst);
(I think this is the only difference between normal graphics mode and highspeed mode, and it seems like there's no reason not to do highspeed with the shield).

I did this and it worked perfectly! Really cool shield!

craigs2

Post by craigs2 »

I just got my new 1.8 TFT. I encountered the same issues noted in this thread. :oops:

Note that the default library referenced from the product page is still the old one. I had to find the one on this thread to make my shield work.

Like the comment above notes, after I switch the pin config to 10/8/-1, the graphics test worked like a charm.

I can't wait to build this into my project! :D

pjlaskey

Post by pjlaskey »

I just received my ST7735 shield and I am experiencing the white screen problem as well. I checked pin=to pin continuity as well as pin to pad continuity after soldering on the header pins and everything appears normal. I have tried downloading fresh copies of all the libraries as well as trying the ST7735 library linked in the forum. The normal libraries allow me to compile the examples but they result in a white screen when downloaded (even after changing pin assignments to 10/8/-1 or 10/8/0). This applies to all examples in the Adafruit_ST7735 library. If I download Adafruit_7735 from the forum the examples fail to compile. Error messages (shieldtest for example)

C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_ST7735::Adafruit_ST7735(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)':
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp:29: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX()'
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX/Adafruit_GFX.h:17: note: candidates are: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(int16_t, int16_t)
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX/Adafruit_GFX.h:13: note:                 Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(const Adafruit_GFX&)
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_ST7735::Adafruit_ST7735(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)':
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp:41: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX()'
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX/Adafruit_GFX.h:17: note: candidates are: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(int16_t, int16_t)
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_GFX/Adafruit_GFX.h:13: note:                 Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(const Adafruit_GFX&)
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp: In member function 'void Adafruit_ST7735::commonInit(uint8_t*)':
C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_ST7735\Adafruit_ST7735.cpp:258: error: 'constructor' was not declared in this scope
I am using arduino ide 1.0.5-r2 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and a usb-connected arduino uno r3.

Time to return the shield?

Thanks,
Peter

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Post some photos of the front & back of the shield & we'll check the assembly.

pjlaskey

Post by pjlaskey »

Here are some pics of my setup. Notice that my TFT had a BLUE tab which is not one of the options in the sketch. It is very obviously blue but I am assuming this is referred to as black (?). The third image shows pin alignment. Obviously the shield header pins are fully inserted into the Uno when in use.

I noticed that there is in fact continuity between the two Gnd pins on the shield. All other pins are electrically separate. I assumed that they were tied together intentionally but perhaps not?

Thank you for taking a look!
img_4390.jpg
img_4390.jpg (154.79 KiB) Viewed 685 times
img_4391.jpg
img_4391.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 685 times
img_4395.jpg
img_4395.jpg (127.27 KiB) Viewed 685 times
-Peter

adafruit_support_bill

Notice that my TFT had a BLUE tab
Hmmm. That may be a new one. Our suppliers have surprised us before. Let me check with the factory.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Blue tab is indeed a surprise.

I'd suggest trying each of the existing three options (black, red, green) and see if any are compatible. If not, I'll have someone at HQ do the same test on a blue-tabbed display; if it works for them, yours is likely defective and we'll replace it. If it doesn't work for them, then the library will need some work for this new batch of screens.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

All our displays are tested with an Arduino, the current test is whatever is 'default' on the library so it should work just fine :)

pjlaskey

Post by pjlaskey »

OK so are you saying that my shield is defective?

-Peter

adafruit_support_bill

Your solder looks fine. I don't see any problems there. Try the REDTAB and GREENTAB options as suggested by pburgess. If that does not work, contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

pjlaskey

Post by pjlaskey »

Thank you, I will do that.

I traced out the circuits on the board and there are no shorts or opens between the pins and the other components where there shouldn't be. I did notice some gold solder spatter under the TFT screen near where the screen is connected. Some of this appears to be across the traces and may be causing the issue (?). Anyway, thank you for the excellent support.

-Peter

duggTO

Post by duggTO »

Hello,

This thread seems to be relevant to a problem I am having with my 1.8" TFT shield. My version is clearly the <strike class="moderately colorblind">GREENTAB</strike> ORANGETAB, however, when I initialize the shield with that parameter the display shows a single pixel border of random data. If I use the BLACKTAB parameter the display seems to initialize correctly, in that there is no messy border, but the color constants defined in the header file do not generate the correct colors on the display. I.e., STxxx_BLUE instead displays as red etc.

The library documentation seems to be a little light on what the initialization procedure actually does but I would presume it sets things like memory timing (which might explain the border problem) and RGB vs BGR color encoding (which would explain the second problem).

Is there some more in depth documentation I should be looking at to help resolve these problems?

Any help appreciated,
DG

<update date="July 3 2015">Read on...</update>

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”