2.8 TFT eats resources... Move to Arduino DUE?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sellensr

2.8 TFT eats resources... Move to Arduino DUE?

Post by sellensr »

I've been working on getting a few things going with the 2.8 TFT shield and have solved a few problems along the way.
http://rwsarduino.blogspot.ca/2013/01/p ... n-usd.html

I'm still running up against a brick wall on code size to fit on the UNO. If I want to use the TFT, the touchscreen and the uSD together, I'm left with very little memory for the code that actually runs the application. An obvious solution would be to make a move to the DUE for much more memory and all those extra available pins.

Has anybody got the 2.8" TFT/TS shield running on the DUE? Some other display / input combination?

Are there voltage issues that have to be addressed in hardware since the DUE is all 3.3 V?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 2.8 TFT eats resources... Move to Arduino DUE?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The code optimized for speed and is fairly processor specific. There is support for the UNO and MEGA. Due to differences in the SPI pins, it is slower on the Mega. But you do have more memory to work with.

sellensr

Post by sellensr »

Thanks. It's already pretty slow on the UNO, so I appreciate the optimization efforts -- roughly how much slower on the MEGA? 2x, 5x, 10x?

The DUE is still attractive for the better ADC resolution and the way faster processor. Any particular suggestions for UI on the DUE?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is is approximately 1/2 speed on the Mega because we can't use the hardware SPI. The Due is pretty new at this point and we haven't had much time to work with it. Like the Leonardo, it is proving to be incompatible with a lot of shields.

You should be able to get the Character LCDs going without too much trouble.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”