Wave Shield + RGB LCD + Switches

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Shield + RGB LCD + Switches

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This tutorial gives a good overview of switches, pullups and pulldowns. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson5.html

chickenparm42

Post by chickenparm42 »

OK, thanks for the suggestion. Very informative.

One question that kind of got forgotten about was the current and amperage that the pushbuttons (that I would be replacing with toggle switches) operate at. Its very important to me that my LEDs are not too dull when they are connected.

adafruit_support_bill

The switch circuits on the shield operate at 5v. Current consumption is determined by the load (in this case the leds in your switch). Without any real specs on the switch it is hard to say. But from what we know, you are able to connect them between 5v and GND and not let the smoke out, so I'd assume that there must be some internal current limiting resistors to keep the current draw under about 20mA.

chickenparm42

Post by chickenparm42 »

I am pretty sure the product page said somewhere that there is an internal resistor, but I am more worried about having enough current, not so much about not having enough.

EDIT: According to an employee on the product page: "...you should not need a resistor unless powering beyond the intended 12V rating."

adafruit_support_bill

I am more worried about having enough current, not so much about not having enough.
Current draw is determined by the load. In the case of an led, you should be worried about having too much. But if there is an internal resistor sized for up to 12v operation you should be safe.

chickenparm42

Post by chickenparm42 »

I should clarify, I am worried that there won't be enough current to brightly power the LED. But the more I think about it the more I realize that there probably is enough current.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”