How to use both Motor Shield and LCD
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

How to use both Motor Shield and LCD

by CAdam on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 am

Hello!
Sorry if this is asked somewhere but I wasn't being able to find it. I'm new to arduino and I have the UNO, adafruit motor shield and adafruit lcd shield. I would like to use the two at the same time but for the life of me I'm not seeing how to connect both shields to the main board. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
CAdam

Re: How to use both Motor Shield and LCD

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 am

To stack the shields, you would need to build the motor shield with stacking headers. http://www.adafruit.com/products/85

Without the stacking headers, you can just run wires to the RGB/LCD shield. It only needs 4 wires: +5v, Gnd, Analog 4 and Analog 5.
adafruit_support_bill

by CAdam on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for the help! Now with the motor shield I would like to use a stepper motor with the following specs that I have

Step Angle (degrees) : 0.9
2-Phase
Rated Voltage: 3V
Rated Current: 1.7A/Phase
5mm Diameter Drive Shaft
Holding Torque: 48N.cm
NEMA 17 form factor

When I tried using it the l293d chip started to heat up so I stopped what I was doing. Is this because of the 1.7A/phase of the motor? If so, how do I go about managing this? Thanks for the help! Again I'm new and I HAVE tried googling this stuff for the last 3 hours and I'm still confused :)
CAdam

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Start by reading through this. There is some good information about selecting motors and increasing the current capacity of the shield.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=26873
adafruit_support_bill

by CAdam on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Thank you, I've read that already and just re-read it again. My project is a camera slider that I need to use a motor to pull a rig along a rail. The camera setup weighs about 4-5 lbs but I'm not sure what that translates to since I'm not lifting it but "sliding" it. I suppose I'm having trouble sorting out what size motor I need for the operation. Is your motor shield capable of powering a motor large enough for this? If so do you carry a motor in that range?

What I gather from the link you gave me is that my 1.7A/Phase motor is basically too much for this shield and that trying to make it work with the shield will essentially fry the shield eventually. Correct?
CAdam

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

For sliding motion, assuming relatively low friction, what determines the torque requirements is the acceleration. A small geared stepper can put out some impressive torque, it just can't move so fast.

1.7A is on the high side of what is practical with the shield. But you can get the same or higher torque with less current by using a higher voltage motor. You might want to look around for motors in the 12-24v range.
adafruit_support_bill