Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)

by xl97 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Hey gang--

been playing with another lib posted on the Arduino forums.. (SimpleSDAudio)

that does PWM audio output..etc..

I dont know about whats going on 'under the hood' (so to speak).... but it has a 'working' function.. that seems to keep feeding the cache with the next chunk of data for audio output.....

This has allowed me to get a seamless/gapless loop (no clicks, no pops, no overlay).. a nice, true 'loop'...

This has got me back to thinking about the WaveShield/WaveHC lib.. and the differences (or possible tweaks?) between the two libs... and how to get a better (seamless/gapless) loop from the WaveHC lib??

Is this a hardware problem/restriction? or code in way the lib was created?

I'd be very interested/curious if anybody has achieved this with the WaveHC lib? and if so..how? what tweaks to lib did you have to do? I have (another) project that could benefit from a better 'loop' playback than I currently get with the WaveHC lib..

:mrgreen:
xl97

Re: Waveshield/WaveHC seamless/gapless loop? (again)

by xl97 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

surely someone has tried to play a seamless/gapless loop with their Waveshield before....no?

maybe the WaveHC lib was -not- designed for this type of functionality?.. and only for simple triggered audio play back? (no looping)

I dont think having a snippet of code/function that acts as a 'watch dog' for if wav.iSplaying() (or whatever) really 'works' for making the loop seamless/gapless..

(even though the audio file itself is created to be looped seamlessly (zero cross fade..etc))

staff/support?

members? :)

thanks!
xl97

by xl97 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

lets do 'da bump! :)
xl97

by ripanddestroy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi,

I've been searching posts re: seamless looping and I came across a couple of your threads. Did you ever get anywhere with the library you preferred to use? I am getting ready to build a white noise/sleep machine using a wave shield and was looking for some known working code for a seamless loop.

Thanks,

Ripanddestroy
ripanddestroy

by xl97 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 pm

no.. "I" havent..

but I haven been a bit busy on other projects..

I believe there was a reply HERE by a staff member who says it 'works for him'... using his supplied audio file..

(but not the one I had tested with, as well as sent to the author of the library, and has been used in 'many' other props/boards that play it seamlessly)

here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40263&p=200349&hilit=gapless#p200349

again.. i can hear/notice when the file starts over using the Waveshield.. but not other proprietary soundboards..

havent been back on that project in a while.. could figure out how to get seamless playback..s o I shelved it for the time being.
xl97

by Kirk Patrick on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:35 am

It's unfortunate, I have just bought a whole bunch of the wav Shields with the belief that it can loop seamlessly and it doesn't seem to do this.

I have tested it out with numerous different tones and different ways of changing the sample rate etc to see if the problem is in that.

It's really frustrating.

I was mainly using the example files provided here

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wave ... o/examples

and none of them seem to loop it flawlessly although they do seem to say that it will.

Any help ?
Kirk Patrick

by Kirk Patrick on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 am

oh, and i should also add that the samples all loop flawlessly in Ableton and Audacity but NOT in the Wav Shield.

If I find out otherwise I will come back and let you know.
Kirk Patrick

by xl97 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:16 am

Kirk Patrick wrote:oh, and i should also add that the samples all loop flawlessly in Ableton and Audacity but NOT in the Wav Shield.

If I find out otherwise I will come back and let you know.

please do..

I have asked/posted myself..

and while many people 'say' it will.. I havent actually found an example that 'will'...

there was one thread around here..where a mod/member posted it works...etc.. (with some file sample her had/posted)... but I never got back around to playing with this..
I believe it will take some serious re-working of the WaveHC library or something..

post back if you find anything!
xl97