Adafruit Motor Shield Red LED

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kastengeist

Adafruit Motor Shield Red LED

Post by kastengeist »

My motor shield has a RED lit LED not Green, I'm using it to power 2 9.6v RC car motors because I fired the internal components. My question is 1) Why is the LED red and not green and 2) why wotn a 7.2v 1200mAh RC battery power the motors well? it will go forwad and backward, but when I make one motor forward and the other Backward to tunr it doesnt seem to have enough power unless I pick it up off the floor. I have an Arduino Uno R3 + Adafruit Motor shield V1.0 that I bought last Christmas. The RC car is a "Taiyo Edge Runner" and battery is a 7.2V 1200mAh NIMH ignite bought at Walmart... I am using this as my arduino power source as well for the moment, but will try to power the Arduino from a wall wart to see if any difference. But I am just curious if someone can help me..

Might this just be a Power issue? what battery would you recommend?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit Motor Shield Red LED

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Why is the LED red and not green
Where did you purchase the shield? Can you post a photo of it?

kastengeist

Post by kastengeist »

Here are some pictures and it was on Amazon it might have been a SainSmart ill have to find the anti-static bag it came it to know for sure. It might just be a red LED they used. Anyways I think I may be having a power issue. this R/C toy had a 9.6v NIMH I believe and im using a 7.2v NIMH and since the motor shield requires a couple volts or so it might be the problem im thinking...

And I think it may be this motor or a variant...
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... D=rc_260ra

EDIT(" Ok so I read a little and a 3S lipo is 11.1V with a 1-2 volt drop form the motor controller it should be fine with this motor right? http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... D=rc_260ra I belive its the one that say 8-16v but could be the smaller one 3-6v. I do know the Taiyo Edge Runner had a 9.6v battery, Im almost certain.."

Please give me your input if you thin this would be a good idea or not.. and any other pointers..
130_0883.jpg
130_0883.jpg (144.13 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
130_0882.jpg
130_0882.jpg (520.63 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
130_0884.jpg
130_0884.jpg (492.73 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is not one of our shields. Looks like a copy of one of our older designs. You should contact the seller for support.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”