VS1053 vs WAV shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
42df

VS1053 vs WAV shield

Post by 42df »

It looks like either one of these would probably work for my application, but I'm wondering if the VS1053 uses less memory than the WAV shield?
Also wondering how either/both of these would respond to multiple triggers simultaneously - i.e. PlaySoundA then PlaySoundB before sound A has completed.

The application is a simple interactive exhibit that plays different bird sounds (6 total) when puzzle pieces are assembled (metal contacts in puzzle pieces complete circuit). The sounds are a few seconds each, and it's possible that two different puzzle sections could be completed roughly simultaneously.
Any other input that anyone can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: VS1053 vs WAV shield

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The memory requirements between the two devices will be equivalent. Both will require double-buffering of the data read from the SD card.

The advantage of the VS1053 is that it supports several compressed formats, like MP3 and ogg vorbis, whereas the wave shield only supports uncompressed formats like WAV. However, if you've only got 6 sounds, then you won't realize any significant savings in SD card space from using a compressed format.

Halting Sound A to play Sound B is a function of the control software running on the arduino. Both devices will be able to do that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”