Mega protoshield for Arduino - Unexpected Connections

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paseman

Mega protoshield for Arduino - Unexpected Connections

Post by paseman »

If not schematic files, is there any documentation at all on this Board? I am finding expected and unexpected connections between the pins (e.g. Reset button pad connects to rest pin. One side of reset connects to one of the grounds but not others, etc.). If you cannot answer the questions, and are sourcing this board from elsewhere, can you please tell me where so I can ask them directly?
- Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Mega protoshield for Arduino - Unexpected Connections

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The board is our own design, and the connections in question are correct. The ATmega series of microcontrollers use an active-low RESET pin as a non-maskable interrupt. The reset switch on the Arduino has a pull-up resistor that connects to the pin, and a switch that allows you to pull the pin LOW for a reset.

Many shields have a duplicate of that switch because it's hard to reach the onboard switch with a shield in place.

I don't have a link to the design files right now, but will look around to see if I can find them.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

oops its actually NKC's protoshield, NOT ours! please contact http://www.nkcelectronics.com/ - he can help you with files and schematics :)

paseman

Post by paseman »

Thanks!

paseman

Post by paseman »

Thanks for the NKC reference. Attached is a picture of their response, which I found helpful.
Key points are:
the obvious surface mount expansions at the top left
the non-obvious (unlabeled) SCL, SDA, VCC, GND square at the top right;
Ground/Reset traces leading to the Reset button.
The parallel switch traces at the bottom left (these are rather dicey for Due since the board "rides up" over the the power plug at this point as it is).
Ability to switch the Power rail to 3.3 or 5 using the jumper next to the switch traces.

Also, I was able to see many of the traces by holding the board at an angle.

As a side point, the reason I chose this board over a Seeed alternative is that it has the correct number of pins (Rev 3) for a Due.
Attachments
megashieldv2.jpg
megashieldv2.jpg (342.27 KiB) Viewed 315 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”