Wave Shield Newbie Troubleshooting

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sysm

Wave Shield Newbie Troubleshooting

Post by sysm »

I am grateful for any direction on how to troubleshoot my Wave Shield. This is only the third project I've tried. My soldering is rough, but I think everything has good contact (no cold joints or bridging that I can see, leads snipped down pretty short).

The libraries are installed correctly. My SD card was formatted using SDFormatter v 4.0.

I am testing using the PiSpeakHC.pde.

The serial monitor shows the sketch running correctly:

PPi speaker
Files found:
~1.TRA
0.WAV
TRASHE~1/
SPOTLI~1/
_~1.WAV
1.WAV
_~~2.WAV
2.WAV
_~~~3.WAV
3.WAV
_~~~~4.WAV
4.WAV
_~~~~~5.WAV
5.WAV
_~~~~~31.WAV[/quote]
6.WAV
_~~~~~34.WAV
7.WAV
_~~~~~37.WAV
8.WAV
_~~~~~40.WAV
9.WAV
_~~~~~43.WAV
P.WAV
_~~~~~46.WAV

But I'm not getting any audio output. Through headphones or speakers. The volume is turned up.
IMG_5758.JPG
IMG_5758.JPG (122.14 KiB) Viewed 217 times
IMG_5759.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG (150.38 KiB) Viewed 217 times
IMG_5762.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG (79.23 KiB) Viewed 217 times
I am a complete electronics newbie. My programming skills are slightly better. Is there a way to check, component by component, to see where my fault might lay? Either by code or by using a multimeter?

I have tried using a multimeter to check continuity. I am having getting the same error that MC2915 had here: https://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtop ... 31&p=70146 -- using my multimeter in continuity mode, the reset button only beeps when pressed. But it also beeps when the second analog ground pin is touched along with either of the leads on the reset pin facing that side.

I would appreciate any assistance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wave Shield Newbie Troubleshooting

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The solder looks OK. I can't quite see where all those white jumpers go. Double check that they match the wiring in the tutorial.

You are reading from the SD card which is a good sign. To trace the audio signal from the DAC to the output amp, find a set of inexpensive headphones and follow this procedure here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 019#p64984

sysm

Post by sysm »

Hi

I followed the directions from that link as best I could. That user had an intermittent issue that cleared up after one round of troubleshooting.

I have my multimeter set for continuity.

I have the PiSpeakHC sketch running (that loops through the digits on the Pi sequence). The serial monitor shows that it continues to run.

The multimeter is set like this:
IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5772.JPG (76.99 KiB) Viewed 181 times
I am hearing static in the headphones on the lead of the 1.5K resistor closest to the headphone jack, but not on the other side.
IMG_5776.JPG
IMG_5776.JPG (86.16 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Also, if I put the two multimeter probes on the leads of the DAC on pins 1 and 8, I can also get static. The potentiometer can successfully turn that static volume up and down.

Can you suggest any next steps? I don't know how to read the DAC chip otherwise (multimeter modes or interpreting the results). Any help is appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If the headphone test gives you static on R7, then the problem is with the DAC. Either it is not connected correctly, or the chip itself is not working. Re-check your jumper connections. We can't tell where all those white wires are going from the photo.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”