PN532 NFC shield arduino and 14443B

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ptulula

PN532 NFC shield arduino and 14443B

Post by ptulula »

I am using a PN532 NFC shield with an arduino uno and am having issues reading 14443B devices (works fine with 14443A). I am using the Adafruit_NFCShield_I2C library.
I know the PN532 chip does support B (have a friend who got it working on Raspberry Pi platform) so is this something missing in this library? If so, has anyone gotten it to work with 14443B? If you could share code samples or at least point me in the right direction of what I need to change to get it to work I would greatly appreciate it.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PN532 NFC shield arduino and 14443B

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let me pass that question to our NFC guru.

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

I'm afraid I've never used type B tags, so I can't offer any specific advice. Most inexpensive tags are 14443A, so it's what we focus on with code and examples. Sorry I can't offer more than that.

helpme12

Post by helpme12 »

I would like to attempt to write a driver for type B tags. I would like to ask the Adafruit experts who wrote the driver for type A tags. Which documentation was necessary when you wrote the type A tags? User manual http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/141520.pdf and/or application note http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/PN53 ... e_v1.2.pdf? Is it necessary to purchase the ISO/IEC 14443 specifications? Am I right to say the complexity for developing type B driver is about the same as type A? Only the commands are different?

ktownsend

Post by ktownsend »

The main source of documentation is the NXP application notes and datasheets and the NFC Forum (the standards body responsible for NFC), which contains the official standards accepted by them (freely available but you need to register first). Generally, you'll want to look at the website of the chip manufacturer who designed the IC inside the tag itself (which could be NXP, TI, Sony, etc., depending on the tag type), though the NFC Forum documents are generally quite accessible and brief.

RayBorenstein

Post by RayBorenstein »

Hi,

I don't know if you got your answer since, or even managed to develop your own adaptation.
I'm currently developing a library for KeyDuino, which uses the PN532, and the library is based on Adafruit PN532 lib.

Since I have to work with ISO14443-B cards, I managed to add the communication with those cards by adding a few options to the lib, according to the PN532 manual.
You can find them on the lib's GitHub repo in ISO14443B branch : https://github.com/CITCEuraRFID/KeyDuin ... yDuino.cpp

You want to look at inListPassiveTarget and inDataExchange methods.

This is currently under development, and adapted to KeyDuino, but you can easily retro-adapt this to the basic PN532 lib.

Hope it helps,

Ray

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”