Motorshield V2 Breakouts?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cadop

Motorshield V2 Breakouts?

Post by cadop »

Hello,

I bought a few of the v2 motorshields. I keep reading that there is an analog breakout, but there are never any pictures that show what this is. I also cant find a description of what the 6x19 array of holes is for. From my assumption, the breakout is the holes that are more inside the board from the pins i connect to the arduino, but I would like to make sure. If this is the case, can I use the ground and 5v from the motorshield as if it was in the arduino while i am powering the motorshield separately? I cant find anything about how the power and ground work, so if I take off the jumper on the motorshield, is the ground still connected to the arduino ground? Is the power then connected to the arduino? I need to use some sensors on the board with the arduino and they burn out easily so I want to make sure I understand where the power goes.

Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motorshield V2 Breakouts?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The 'breakouts' are the row of holes next to the header pins. The 6x19 array of holes is simply a prototyping area for whatever circuits you want to experiment with.
can I use the ground and 5v from the motorshield as if it was in the arduino while i am powering the motorshield separately?
If the shield is plugged into an Arduino, the ground and 5v pins are connected as well.
if I take off the jumper on the motorshield, is the ground still connected to the arduino ground? Is the power then connected to the arduino?
Without the jumper, the ground is still connected. The power is not.

cadop

Post by cadop »

Thanks for the fast reply! Just to make sure I understand, the anolog breakouts would be the row of two and then under that the row of 4?

Edit, Also I wanted to double check that this sticky http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13173 is not for version 2, so the digital pins are not used for a stepper motor. And this

The shield uses the SDA and SCL i2c pins to control DC and stepper motors. On the Arduino UNO these are also known as A4 and A5. On the Mega these are also known as Digital 20 and 21. On the Leonardo these are also known as digital 2 and 3. Do not use those pins on those Arduinos with this shield with anything other than an i2c sensor/driver.

Since the shield uses I2C to communicate, you can connect any other i2c sensor or driver to the SDA/SCL pins as long as they do not use address 0x60 (the default address of the shield)

If you want to use the servo connections, they are on pins #9 and #10. If you do not use the connector then those pins are simply not used.

You can use any other pins for any other use

means that on the uno, analog 4 and analog 5 are used for the stepper and if using only stepper motors all the digital pins + analog 0-3 are available.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Just to make sure I understand, the anolog breakouts would be the row of two and then under that the row of 4?
Correct. The labels correspond to the analog pin numbers. However, be aware that pins 4 and 5 are also SDA and SCL of the i2c bus and are used to control the shield. You cannot use these as analog pins when using the motor shield.
Also I wanted to double check that this sticky viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13173 is not for version 2
Correct. (I edited the post to clarify)
on the uno, analog 4 and analog 5 are used for the stepper and if using only stepper motors all the digital pins + analog 0-3 are available.
Analog 4 and 5 are used for both stepper motors and DC motors.
Digital pins 9 and 10 are used for servos only.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”