Bluefruit EZ-Link Trouble

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
derekshc

Bluefruit EZ-Link Trouble

Post by derekshc »

Hello, I have a Bluefruit EZ-Link module that is behaving strangely. When appropriately hooked up to an Arduino Mega that is powered via USB, the module no longer blinks or turns on. Using a 7.5V external power source, the module turns on, none of our bluetooth enabled computers are able to connect for more than a few seconds and, after several minutes, the module ceases to function without unplugging and plugging the power source back in. I can confirm the Arduino itself is working properly and is outputting the correct voltage at the 5V pin.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Link Trouble

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo of the hardware please?

The symptoms you described could indicate an intermittent power connection, so let's rule that out. Double check the supply voltage at the EZ-Link when it stops responding, and try replacing the wiring/jumpers for the power connection. Broken wires inside a jumper can cause no end of bafflement.

derekshc

Post by derekshc »

Thanks for the reply. I attached a photo with the Arduino powered via USB. Contrary to what I originally mentioned, it looks like the Bluefruit does turn on when powered via USB, but the LED does not blink. I am seeing a similar problem as when powered with an AC adapter, where it is can be discovered by the computer I am using, but a connection cannot be established ("That didn't work. Try again, and make sure your device is still discoverable" is the Windows 8.1 error).
10fbb249-00e8-468a-90c1-356a71172443.png
10fbb249-00e8-468a-90c1-356a71172443.png (39.75 KiB) Viewed 305 times

adafruit_support_mike

Could you post a larger photo please? We're looking for details of the pin connections, solder joints, etc.

800x600 images generally work best.

derekshc1

Post by derekshc1 »

I can't log into the original account I made and password resets aren't working. Oh and apologies about the photo. I didn't know I was linking a thumbnail the whole time...

Here's a better link.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119 ... G_0390.jpg

It's still not working unfortunately.

adafruit_support_mike

Thanks.. that image is much easier to read.

The wiring looks okay, but I don't trust anything in a breadboard until I've measured it. Check the voltage between Vin and GND on the EZ-Link's header pins please. Also put an ammeter between the VCC rail and the Vin pin and see how much current the module is using.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”