Data logging shield: SD initialization failed

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
guybrush

Data logging shield: SD initialization failed

Post by guybrush »

I bought an assembled data logging shield a few months ago. Up to now, I have only used the RTC and this part works perfectly. However, I am now trying to get the SD card reader to work, but without luck. I tried to run the cardinfo sketch (I changed ChipSelect to pin 10), but I systematically get "Initializing SD card...initialization failed. etc."
I should also say that I am using a SD card that I bought together with the shield and which is supposed to work with it. I have formatted it with SDFormatter 4.0 but it doesn't help.

I have two questions regarding my issue:
1) If the sketch cannot initialize the SD card, can we safely assume that the problem is due to the shield and not the card? (I have seen in the forums that if the card cannot be read correctly, it normally gets past the initialization step, but the file system cannot be identified at a later stage).

2) It seems that most users suffering from this problem have assembled their shield themselves and the problem is due to bad soldering, but because I bought it already assembled, then it shouldn't be the problem.

To go back to each point of the error message:
*Is a card inserted? Yes
*Is your wiring correct? I assume so, I bought the shield assembled
*did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module? Yes, I changed it to 10.

I have used the zone at the center of the shield to solder a connector for a I2C LCD (I can try to attach pictures later in the day, But I haven't the shield with me at this time). It is a 4 contacts connector with connections to 5V, GND, A4, A5. The LCD and RTC work perfectly together, and I haven't used any of the outputs used for the SD card. Furthermore, to be sure it is not the problem, I haven't connected the LCD to run the cardinfo sketch.

Any advice on what to check or what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Data logging shield: SD initialization failed

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sounds like a problem with the SD card slot, but pictures will be nice to have. Please make sure they're clear and detailed!

guybrush

Post by guybrush »

Thanks for the reply. I have made 2 pictures, on from the top showing the soldering of the card slot, and one from the bottom showing the headers I soldered myself. On this second picture, we have digital pin 0 on the far right. (links to higher res versions)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/432 ... G_0728.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/432 ... G_0729.jpg

Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_rick

Can you try touching up the solders on the card slot? Some of them look a little odd. I don't think you necessarily need to add solder - just touch them with a hot iron and re-flow.

guybrush

Post by guybrush »

Thanks a lot Rick, it worked!

adafruit_support_rick

Great!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”