Motor Shield Kit V2.0 - Stepper Motor Inaction

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidh28

Motor Shield Kit V2.0 - Stepper Motor Inaction

Post by davidh28 »

I am using an arduino uno and the Motor Shield v2.0 to interface to two stepper motor using the grbl program for an XY layout. I am using the UCS program responding over the USB port. I do get response from limit switches (pins 9-11) and spindle control (pin 12), but I do not get any response of the stepper motors. The USC program indicates coordinate changes on command, but no motor response. The motor power led is on indicating power. I have check across the motor coils during movement instructions, but find no voltage, either dc or ac across any coils, and there is no motor holding force. The voltage to the motors is 12.1 volts for the 12 volt steppers. I am new to these projects.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Motor Shield Kit V2.0 - Stepper Motor Inaction

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you post the code you are using on the Arduino?

davidh28

Post by davidh28 »

The code flashed to the Arduino uno R3 is grbl_v0_8c_atmega328p_16mhz_9600.hex. The program seems to work as I get the response from the UCS (Universal Code Sender) program interface over the USB port for various commands. When I send a linear motion command, like G00X200, there is no response from the stepper or voltage detected on the stepper coils (or the terminals on the shield). I can send other commands, like spindle control or limit switch actuation, and I get the appropriate response.

adafruit_support_bill

The code flashed to the Arduino uno R3 is grbl_v0_8c_atmega328p_16mhz_9600.hex.
Do you have a link to where you got this code (and any associated documentation)?
Do you know if this code was designed to work with the Adafruit V2 motor shield?

davidh28

Post by davidh28 »

The link to the grbl code: https://github.com/grbl/grbl
The code is designed to use the Arduino uno and interface to various motor shields. I do not know if the Arduino V2 kit motor shield will work with the grbl code, but grbl is designed to use pins 2-8 for stepper output, pins 9-11 for limits, pins 12-13 for spindle, as well as pins A0-A3 from the Arduino uno. There are several other vendor motor shields that are supposed to work.
Thanks for you help.

adafruit_support_bill

grbl is designed to use pins 2-8 for stepper output, pins 9-11 for limits, pins 12-13 for spindle, as well as pins A0-A3 from the Arduino uno.
That would not be compatible with the Adafruit V2 motor shield. All communication with the shield is via i2c (pins A4-A5 on the UNO).

We do have the Synthetos gShield (a.k.a. grblShield) which is designed specificaly for use with grbl: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1750

davidh28

Post by davidh28 »

Thank you for your help. I missed the interface definition when I bought the Motor Shield. I already had ordered the gshield and it should be here soon. I will probably by a new Arduino and use the Motor shield on that one without the grbl configuration. I will have to find the Arduino uno hex file to flash.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”