This is my first post and am still learning about the hardware side of the wonderful Arduino Decimila and your equally wonderful Motor Shield.
I soldered up the V1.0 and have been testing it with a small dc motor. M1 & M2 are fine, but I had a bit of a scare when I tried M3 & M4. It seems that the lettering on the pcb has them reversed. M3 is labeled as closer to the analog pins with M4 being closer to the Digital pins.
When I ran the sample sketch for those two outputs:
AF_DCMotor motor(4, MOTOR34_8KHZ);
fired up the motor closer to the analog pins.
The reverse occured when calling Motor 3.
This looks like it could be repaired by modifying the #define statements in afmotor.h which look like:
#define MOTOR1_A 2
#define MOTOR1_B 3
#define MOTOR2_A 1
#define MOTOR2_B 4
#define MOTOR3_A 0
#define MOTOR3_B 6
#define MOTOR4_A 5
#define MOTOR4_B 7
Next I get to try and figure out some steppers from the junk box. They are a bit more daunting. Servo's are after that.