Motor Shield

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
biobreed

Re: Motor Shield

Post by biobreed »

I am also using a 1 amp, 12v power supply to the shield.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I really don't see anything wrong there. let me check with a couple of the other engineers and see if they can spot the problem.

biobreed

Post by biobreed »

I have also checked continuity for each pin going from the shield to the Arduino. See read arrows at A5 for an example. All connections are good with zero resistance.
Attachments
Img_7425.jpg
Img_7425.jpg (318.11 KiB) Viewed 683 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Hiya, the photo we saw earlier doesnt have the VIN jumper in place. This *has* to be inplace! otherwise you're running the stepper off of USB which causes the USB to reset (it cant drive motors!)

plz install the VIN jumper and/or use a 9V external wall adapter. thx!

adafruit_support_bill

If you are using your external 12v supply you should not need the VIN jumper. Let's check a few more things:

First check the voltage at the external supply terminals - just to make sure that we are seeing the full 12v there.
Next: Is the motor making any kind of noise or vibration at all?
Next: Disconnect the motor from the shield and see if you can turn the shaft by hand.
Finally: measure the resistance of the coils. There should be about 35 ohms between red & yellow as well as between green & gray.

Santy

Post by Santy »

hola, he descargado sus librerias para la LCD nokia 5110 y me da multiples errores,

Adjunto fichero con el reporte de errores, a ver si alguien me puede ayudar Gracias.
Attachments
ErrorSketchNokia5210.JPG
ErrorSketchNokia5210.JPG (132 KiB) Viewed 634 times

adafruit_support_bill

[Via Google Translate]
Hello , I downloaded their libraries for nokia 5110 LCD and gives me multiple errors ,

Attached file with error reporting , see if someone can help me Thanks .
Hello Santy - Please start a new thread for your topic. This thread is about motor shield problems.

biobreed

Post by biobreed »

Ok,
I measured the resistance and I get 35 ohms across the leads. I can turn the shaft whether the motor is attached to the shield or not. Incidentally, if the shield is not powered, and I turn the shaft, electricity is produced and lights the shield green led power light. There are no vibrating sounds coming from the motor when it is hooked up. Is there any test that I can do to see if the Arduino is even communicating anything to the shield? It appears to be doing nothing. Or is there any test I can try on the shield, maybe at the motor leads? There is no voltage coming through the motor terminal while the motor party or stepper test is running.
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

Measure the voltage at the external supply terminals - just to make sure that we are seeing the full 12v there.

If you run the i2cScanner, it will verify that the Arduino can communicate with the shield.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

biobreed

Post by biobreed »

Hi,
Thank you for your patience in helping me sort this out. I checked the terminals and they are at 11.95 V. I am running the i2c scanner right now and it has been stuck at I2c scanner Scanning... for about 5 minutes. This is with the new Arduino and the replacement shield that you sent me. I will try the first shield that you sent me with the new arduino now.
Update: With the new Arduino and the first shield, the scanner say no i2c devices found.
Bill

adafruit_support_bill

It is clearly not talking to either shield. There is not much between the Arduino and the controller chip. The I2c bus is connected by A4/A5 as well as by the ACL/SDA pins and you soldering on all of those looks fine - as does your power and ground.

At this point, all I can do is offer you a refund. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread they can arrange that for you.

juttajxwa

Post by juttajxwa »

I am using a 1 amp, 12v power supply to the shield too! Bengals Russell Bodine
Last edited by juttajxwa on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

juttajxwa wrote:I am using a 1 amp, 12v power supply to the shield too!
What problem are you having? Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the shield, showing your soldering.

biobreed

Post by biobreed »

Update: Gents, not believing the problem was with my two Arduino Uno's, I ordered and just received a Deek-Bot shield 2.0. It looks exactly like the Adafruit shield and ended up working right out of the bag with the Adafruit libraries for 2.0. That means the first two shields that I received were DOA. What are the odds of that? I am glad that I persisted. I was about to give up on this project.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”