2.8" TFT Touch Shield for Arduino - Due Compatibility?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
minkitty

2.8" TFT Touch Shield for Arduino - Due Compatibility?

Post by minkitty »

I have just purchased an Arduino Due. Will this product work with the Due (as of 21/08/2014)? Is it pin and hardware compatible and are there functioning libraries?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 2.8" TFT Touch Shield for Arduino - Due Compatibility?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Is this the resistive touch TFT or the capacitive touch TFT? The resistive touch shield works with the Due. I'm not sure about the cap touch. I have one on order, and I can check that out when it gets here.

minkitty

Post by minkitty »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Is this the resistive touch TFT or the capacitive touch TFT? The resistive touch shield works with the Due. I'm not sure about the cap touch. I have one on order, and I can check that out when it gets here.
I am referring to the resistive touch. Are any modifications required (like the ones listed for Mega/Leonardo) or should it work out of the box?

adafruit_support_rick

You have to close the ICSP solder jumpers on the back, as with the Mega/Leonardo.

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

Hello,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have the Arduino Due board + 2.8" TFT Touch Shield for Arduino Capacitive and want/need to make them work together.

I also have a Mega 2560 board. On Mega the screen/touch works pretty good. The display is working just fine. The touch isn't giving the full range of values (0 to 240/320). It starts from about 5 and ends at 236/317. It's not a real issue anyway.

I want to use the display with the Due board (in search of speed :P). The ICSP solder jumpers on the back are closed (since I've used the display already on Mega).
The display lights up, but remains white and it flickers.

On both boards I used the CapTouchPaint sketch to test.
What should I do to make it work? Could you please help me?

A short update:
The display works with Due. The Serial Monitor says "Couldn't start FT6206 touchscreen controller".
I commented the "while (1);" and it displayed the color selection from the CapTouchPaint sketch.

It looks like the touch controller is the problem. Maybe it needs some different settings?

Thank you.
Last edited by bogdan90211 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_rick

I'm still waiting to get a cap touch shield, so I can't test this myself. I'll see i somebody else can help.

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

Hey,

Thanks for the fast reply. Please see the update. Maybe it helps somehow. I edited my previous message.

Best regards.

adafruit_support_rick

I know that the FT6206 driver compiles for the Due, but I haven't actually tried it to see if it works. I'll investigate.

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

I notice there's no speed improvement in Due vs Mega for a sketch that paints circles with random radii, colors and positions.
Was I wrong to expect a huge difference in speed in regard to the processor speed 84 vs 16 MHz?

Thanks for investigating. I'll wait for your answer.

Best regards.

Can the drivers be tweaked to benefit from the greater speed of Due? :)

adafruit_support_rick

I think you're probably seeing the speed limit of the SPI interface itself.

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

Hey,

I assume you didn't get the chance to test the capacitive touch on Due yet.
However, I was able to make it work using the other I2C port (the one next to the serial ports).

NOTE for making this display work with Due boards:
1. MAKE SURE you use a lever shifter since Due is running at 3.3V instead of 5V as the other Arduino boards.
Otherwise you risk damaging the port. https://www.adafruit.com/products/757 will do just fine.
2. Edit Adafruit_FT6206.cpp and replace Wire with Wire1 (except for the #include <Wire.h> line) if you want to use the second port (the one next to AREF)

My Due board seems to have an issue with the second port and that's why it didn't work in the first place.

Best regards,
Bogdan

adafruit_support_rick

Doesn't work with the main I2C port on my Due, either. No idea why.

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

Did you edit Adafruit_FT6206.cpp and replace Wire with Wire1 (except for the #include <Wire.h> line) as I said at notes?
And also use a bi-directional level shifter?
That should be all assuming there's nothing wrong with the main I2C port.

Leaving Adafruit_FT6206.cpp unmodified will use SDA/SCL port located near the 36 pin connector.
Replacing Wire with Wire1 will use SDA1/SCL1 port located near AREF. There's no way you could just plug the shield directly on Due and make it work since the level shifter must be put between the shield and board.

I'm now benchmarking a Uno board vs Due. Due is slower than Uno, and Mega as well. :(
Can someone please explain why? It's hard for me to believe the SPI port on Due is slower than the one on Ono and Mega. I expected Due to be faster, or even have the same speed as Uno, but not to be slower.

I strongly believe there's something wrong in the code. Could someone please review it or at least give some hints on where to look ?

Can this display be made to run on 8 bit interface instead of SPI ?

Thank you,
Bogdan

adafruit_support_rick

For 8-bit, you want to use the breakout version we just released:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2090

bogdan90211

Post by bogdan90211 »

Yes, I know about this one. I already got two 2.8" TFT Touch Shields. I won't buy a new display. I was asking if this shield can be modified.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”