Motor Shield V2 Output Voltage Increase

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
greyjack

Motor Shield V2 Output Voltage Increase

Post by greyjack »

Hi

I have purchased a couple of the Motor Shield V2's, but they are limited to 13.5Volts. I need to power a couple 36 Volt Stepper Motor's, and was wondering if there was any way to easily modify/add to the board to enable it to use the 36 Volt input power from an external power supply to power the Stepper Motors.

Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Motor Shield V2 Output Voltage Increase

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The TB6612 H-bridge has an absolute upper limit of 15v, so there's no simple way to tweak the shield for 36v.

You could use the Motor Shield as a driver for external mosfets, but that would take a bit of work.

You might find a driver module that fits your needs over at http://pololu.com/ They specialize in robotics and have a wider range of motor controllers than we do.

greyjack

Post by greyjack »

Thanks, I was thinking along those lines, the question is now to get the correct Mosfet, that will turn on and off properly with the 5v power source.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can use a 12v supply to the Motor Shield to make sure you have plenty of voltage for the N-mosfets on the low side, but the challenge will be driving the P-mosfets on the high side.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”