motor shield v2 with NEMA 23?

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
norlander

motor shield v2 with NEMA 23?

Post by norlander »

I have a NEMA 23 stepper motor and the motor shield v2. Will the shield be able to handle this size stepper motor? I don't want to burn up the shield as I already damaged a ULN2003A chip trying to drive the NEMA23. I found a data sheet for my NEMA23 that says unipolar current 3.9A/phase and bipolar series current 2.8 A/phase.

Thanks
Krist

adafruit_support_bill

Re: motor shield v2 with NEMA 23?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have a NEMA 23 stepper motor and the motor shield v2. Will the shield be able to handle this size stepper motor?
NEMA classifications only tell you the dimensions of the mounting faceplate. They do not tell you anything about the electrical characteristics of the motor.
I found a data sheet for my NEMA23 that says unipolar current 3.9A/phase and bipolar series current 2.8 A/phase.
That is too much current for the V2 motor shield. The V2 shield is not a current limiting shield, so running that motor with it will probably burn up the H-bridges.

You could use the Synthetos G-Shield https://www.adafruit.com/product/1750
That is a current limiting driver that can deliver 2.5A to the coils. If you wire it for bipolar series, you will get about 90% of the rated torque with that combination.

https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper

norlander

Re: motor shield v2 with NEMA 23?

Post by norlander »

thank you. I will make sure I have the correct rated driver.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”