Cloud Thermometer help

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
superman136

Re: Cloud Thermometer help

Post by superman136 »

Is this topic being shut down?

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Hrm, I haven't heard of 1.0.5-r2. Just to check can you grab the latest Arduino 1.0.6 version from here and give it a shot? http://arduino.cc/en/main/software

Also what Arduino hardware are you using with the project, is it an Uno, Leonardo, Mega, etc?

As one more thing to try if 1.0.6 still has the same issue, let's try the 1.5.8 beta version (also from http://arduino.cc/en/main/software ). It uses a new toolchain that's better at optimizing memory usage, so if it is a memory issue this version might help. I haven't tested it with this version though so it might not work, but let's give it a shot.

superman136

Post by superman136 »

First, I am using Arduino Uno.
Second, this is what I got from testing the sketch with different version of Arduino IDE. With version 1.0.6 and with the sketch including those debug codes (serial.println), serial monitor gives nothing, even though the sketch is compiled without errors. With version 1.5.8, the same sketch is not even compiled correctly. It shows the error message:

Arduino: 1.5.8 (Windows 8), Board: "Arduino Uno"

In file included from C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Sha\sha1.cpp:3:0:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Sha\sha1.cpp:13:25: error: variable 'sha1InitState' must be const in order to be put into read-only section by means of '__attribute__((progmem))'
uint8_t sha1InitState[] PROGMEM = {
^
Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

So I know this is very confused problem but please help me to solve this.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

That's odd that you're getting a failure compiling it with Arduino 1.5.8. I just gave it a shot and didn't see the same issue compiling the sketch (although I'm using the Linux version of the IDE). From the error it looks like Arduino is getting confused and using a different SHA1 hash library that's internal to the IDE. The path it mentions (C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\Sha\sha1.cpp) is for an Arduino version of the SHA hash library, but the one used by the sketch is included with it (in sha256.h and sha256.cpp in the sketch directory). Can you try removing all the versions of the Arduino IDE and just installing 1.5.8 to see if it's an issue with older IDEs conflicting with the newer version?

gkuipers

Post by gkuipers »

Has this problem been resolved I am having the same problem

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Has this problem been resolved I am having the same problem
Don't know since no one posted back. Why don'y you start by telling us what it is you are seeing and how you have things connected and powered.

gkuipers

Post by gkuipers »

I am having problems with this project. I have a new Ardruino board with a new cc3000 shield.
I am running version 1.05-r2 software.
I have not updated the drive on the cc3000 board it is running rersion 1.11
I am using a 5 volt 10A DC power supply.
I have checked all solder joint with ohm meter they looks fine.
When I reset the Arduino Board I will get 1 or 2 uploads to the DynamoDB Data Base then it stops.
The information in the DynamoDB Data Base looks good
The only thing I see in the Serial Monitor Window is running......
When the system hangs I can still ping the CC3000 board.
Hope you can help I have tried everything I can think of.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Try updating to the latest 1.14 firmware--the older 1.11 firmwares had some reliability issues which were fixed by TI in the 1.13 and 1.14 versions. Check out this page for more information on upgrading the CC3000 firmware: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cc3 ... e-upgrades

gkuipers

Post by gkuipers »

I updated the the CC3000 shield to Firmware V1.14.
Still having the same problem. I will get one new entry on the Data Base and then the Arduion seams to hang.
I will get nothing more sent to the serial port even after adding some Serial.println outputs at the start of some of the functions.
I can ping the IP 12 hours later and it is still replying back.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

One thing to check if it does hand, what's the last response you see in the serial monitor. Is it getting to printing "AWS response:" and then nothing else, or is the last thing you see a good response from AWS' service and then nothing else? This can help pinpoint if there's something wrong sending the data (what happens before it prints AWS response) or if there's something going wrong receiving it (after it prints that).

One other quick thing to check, I don't think it's likely but are your AWS access key or secret key more than 90 characters long? (that's max length the CC3k will send before halting itself to prevent a buffer overflow)

eamonter

Post by eamonter »

Hi. I am having the same problem. Loaded the exact same code and configured DynamoDB exactly as instructed but when connecting everything I only get the "Running..." println. Tried to debug by inserting printlines in the middle and is definetely something in the dynamoDBWrite function, but it's hard to say where as the Terminal Window behaves differently each time I run it, showing different progress each time (printing more or less debuging printlines). Saw mentioning memory of the arduino (I have the UnoR3), could be that, but how could I know what's the exact program? How could I check if the AWS function is working?
Help much appreciated as I am a begginer and so exited of seeing the results with this example.
Regard,

eamonter

Post by eamonter »

Sorry, just a little bit more context. I have Arduino 1.0.6, the thermometer is working showing data (debugged that as well) and sometimes the terminal starts to show millions or weird characters (not every time I run it). I definetely don't receive any response from AWS. It seems like the code doesn't get to that part.
Thanks tdicola for helping everyone.
Cheers

gkuipers

Post by gkuipers »

I have a similar problem. I will get one or two inputs in the DB then it stops. I have put serial prints in different places in the program but they stop printing too.
It seams to me that something is having in the hardware. I have tried everything I can think of to make this project work with no success.

gkuipers

Post by gkuipers »

I finely found my problem.
I was running this project using a UNO.
I replaced it with a Meda and it is working fine now.
I used the same Sketch with no changes.
It is my belief that the UNO does not have enough memory to run this Sketch.

jai

Post by jai »

I have a similar problem. Loads a few values into the DB then stops. I am using the mega and am checking RAM before every DynamoDB write and I have more than 6600 bytes of RAM left and it is not changing.
I am printing the DynamoDB ip to the serial monitor and after every 3 to 4 readings the ip changes. The place it always hangs (after successfully going through 10 or so writes) is just after the ip is obtained and while trying to connect to ip. It does not come up with connection failed message.

What could be going wrong?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”