Powering Motor Shield v2 + Arduino Uno

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
designCPU

Powering Motor Shield v2 + Arduino Uno

Post by designCPU »

At the moment, I'm powering 3 motor shields (each running four 12V/140mA computer fans -> 20.16W max) from a 12V/2A DC power adapter. The fans would rarely run all at once. The shields are stacked on top of an Arduino that's powered by its own separate 5V/1A DC power adapter. Everything runs fine. But I'd really, really like to eliminate having two power adapters. According to the Motor Shield manual, it's at least possible to run the whole system from the 12V/2A DC power adapter. But is this advisable, from a heat standpoint? (The Arduino and shields will be inside watertight plastic box) I'm considering using the Mini DC/DC Step-Down (Buck) Converter - 5V @ 1A output [https://www.adafruit.com/products/1065] along with the 12V/2A DC power adapter, to direct 12V to the fans and 5V to the Arduino. Is this an option, or are there other, easier/better options?

Franklin97355

Re: Powering Motor Shield v2 + Arduino Uno

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Arduino can take the 12v as input power and as long as you are not using it's regulator to power the fans it should work OK.

designCPU

Post by designCPU »

Aright, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

designCPU

Post by designCPU »

Oh, one other question: If I'm supplying 12V to the Arduino, do each of the stacked v2 Motor Shields need the jumper in place to receive that sweet delicious power?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yes, they do.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”